Ama Origin and Meaning
The name Ama is a girl's name of African origin meaning "born on a Saturday; water".
Ama is a day name used by the Akan people of Ghana for girls born on Saturday. Names that reference a baby's birth by day of the week, time of day, or season of the year are common in many African cultures. Ama is one that can be used happily by parents who live in English-speaking countries. While there are many girls' names that contain Ama as an element and might use it as a short form -- from Amalia to Amaryllis to Samara -- there were only a handful of girls named Ama in the US in a recent year.
20 Names Similar to Ama
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Ama.
Lists containing Ama
Famous People Named Ama
- Ama BenyiwaDoe (born Comfort Saah), Ghanaian politician
- Nana Ama McBrown (born Felicity Ama Agyemang)Ghanaian actress
- Shola Ama (born Mathurin Campbell)English R&B singer
Ama in Pop Culture
- Ama (born Nandzi)main character in "Ama: A Story of the Atlantic Slave Trade" by Manu Herbstein
- Jaal Ama Daravcharacter in the game "Mass Effect: Andromeda"
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.