Norman French, diminutive of Alice"noble"
Alison Origin and Meaning
The name Alison is a girl's name of Scottish origin.
Alison has been long popular in Scotland and widely used here since the fifties; this more feminine medieval derivative of Alice had long surpassed the original in popularity. But now sounds a tad dated in the U.S., with Alice having leapfrogged back over Alison, Alicia and other variations. Allison is the only variant still ahead of the stylish Alice.
# 436 in the US
Alison Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Alison
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Alison.
Lists containing Alison
Famous People Named Alison
- Alison Maria KraussAmerican country and bluegrass singer
- Alison Ann "Ali" SweeneyAmerican actress
- Alison Marion LohmanAmerican actress
- Alison Elizabeth "Ali" LarterAmerican actress
- Alison Loren SudolAmerican musician of A Fine Frenzy
- Alison "Ali" HewsonIrish activist, wife of singer Bono
- Alison Margaret ArngrimAmerican actress
- Alison Courtney PillCanadian actress
- Alison Brie (Schermerhorn)American actress
- Alison "Ali" GertzAmerican AIDS activist
- (Geneviève) Alison Jane MoyetEnglish singer
- Alison RiskeAmerican tennis player
- Alison SteadmanEnglish actress
- Alison WeirEnglish novelist
- Alison Van UytvanckBelgian tennis player
- Alison BechdelAmerican cartoonist
- Alison BaiAustralian tennis player
- Alison BrownAmerican banjo player
- Alison Elizabeth Margaret GoldfrappEnglish musician of duo Goldfrapp
- Alison Joy LeggattEnglish actress
- Alison WheelerEnglish singer of The Beautiful South
- Alison Laura CarrollEnglish gymnast, model and actress; model for Lara Croft
- Alison Jane UttleyEnglish children's author
- Alison KingEnglish actress
- Alison ParkerAmerican News Reporter shot on live TV
- Alison "Ali" OetjenAustralian reality TV star
- Alison Eastwood (b. 1972)American actress; daughter of actor Clint Eastwood
- Taylor Alison SwiftAmerican singer and songwriter
- Alison Waite (b. 1981) Playboy Playmate of the Month for May 2006
Alison in Pop Culture
- Alison DiLaurentischaracter in the Pretty Little Liars series
- Alison Hendrixcharacter in TV's "Orphan Black"
- Alison Humphreycharacter in the Gossip Girl series
- Alison Robbcharacter in the Canterwood Crest series
- Alison Barrington Kovichcharacter in TV soap "Port Charles"
- Alison Mongraincharacter in Spider,Man comics
- Alison Argentcharacter on TV's Teen Wolf
- Alison Baileylead character on TV's "The Affair"
- Alison O'Sullivancharacter in the "St Clare" book series by Enid Blyton
- Alison Stanhopetitle character in "Alison's House," play by Susan Glaspell
- Alison Findlaymain character in "Alison's Birthday," 1981 Australian horror movie
- Alison Fordcharacter in "Portrait of Alison," British movie and TV series
- Alison Poolecharacter in Jay McInerney's novel "Story of My Life", recurring character in Bret Easton Ellis's novels
- Alison Sedgea character in The Deptford Mice trilogy of books by Robin Jarvis
- Alison Ashleymain character in "Hating Alison Ashley" by Robin Klein
- "Alison" song by Elvis Costello
- "Alison" song by Slowdive
- "Alison" song by French singer Jordy Lemoine
- "Alison Hell"song by Annihilator
- "Alison's Starting To Happen"song by The Lemonheads
- "Alison's the Bomb"song by The Huntingtons
- "Alison and Willie" English folk song
- "Alison and Maud" BBC radio comedy series
More Lists containing Alison
- Names that Peaked in 1986
- Scottish Names
- Scottish Names for Girls
- 6 Letter Girl Names
- UK Baby Names
- UK Girl Names
- Girl Names Ending in N
- Three Syllable Names for Girls
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.