Lalage Origin and Meaning
The name Lalage is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "to chatter".
An interesting name despite the pronunciation challenge. It has literary roots, both in the classical poetry of Horace, and as a character in John Fowles' The French Lieutenant's Woman. Appealing nicknames are Lalla and Lally.
20 Names Similar to Lalage
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Lalage.
Famous People Named Lalage
- Lalage Mary Kathleen Aclandwife of English WWI naval officer Hubert Acland
- Constance Lalage Thompsonwife of English MP and civil servant Edward Wakefield
Lalage in Pop Culture
- Lalagecharacter in "The French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles: '"Lalage." She pronounced it as a dactyl, the "g" hard. [Mr Rossetti] proposed the name. He is her godfather. I know it is strange.'"
- Lalagewoman for whom the Roman poet Horace professes his love in "Integer vitae", poem in Carminum liber primus
- Lalagefor whose love the Roman Legions march in Rudyard Kipling's poem "Rimini"
- Lalagecharacter in Edgar Allen Poe's "Politian"
- Related to the second element in Eulalia (Greek lalia "talkprattle, a speaking," from lalein "to speak, prattle," of echoic origin)