Literary name and Old Norse"gravel bank river"
Eyre Origin and Meaning
The name Eyre is girl's name of English, Scandinavian, Norse origin meaning "gravel bank river".
This lovely name -- Eyre sounds just like air -- is best-known as the surname of eponymous Bronte heroine Jane, and would make an appealing and distinctive middle name for the child of fans of that book. While the surname Eyre is found mainly in England, its origins are Norse and it's thought to derive from Norse settlers. Still, the status of the classic books means Eyre deserves to stand proudly among English baby names.
20 Names Similar to Eyre
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Eyre.
Famous People Named Eyre
- Eyre Coote (17261783), Irish general and MP
- Eyre Coote (17601823), Irish general and governor of Jamaica, nephew of the older Eyre Coote
- Eyre Alexander Barby Wichart CrowBritish diplomat
- Eyre CroweEnglish painter
- Eyre Evans CroweEnglish journalist and historian
Eyre in Pop Culture
- "Jane Eyre" novel by Charlotte Bronte and its main character
- Lake Eyrelargest lake in Australia