German"ruler of the people"
Dietrich Origin and Meaning
The name Dietrich is boy's name of German origin meaning "ruler of the people".
This form of Theodoric, familiar via Marlene, is a possible German import. It is an Anglicized ancestor of Derek and all its variations. A noted bearer was acclaimed classical German baritone and conductor Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, and there have been Dietrichs in Henry James's The Princess Casamassima,/em and more recently on the TV show Psych.
20 Names Similar to Dietrich
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Dietrich.
Lists containing Dietrich
Famous People Named Dietrich
- Dietrich AlbrechtAmerican soccer player
- Dietrich BonhoefferGerman pastor and martyr
- Dietrich FischerDieskau, German baritone singer
- Dietrich EckartGerman politician
- Dieterich BuxtehudeDanish,German composer and organist.
- Dietrich von HildebrandGerman Catholic philosopher and theologian
- Wilhelm Dietrich von BuddenbrockPrussian field marshal and cavalry leader
Dietrich in Pop Culture
- Gordon Deitrichcharacter in film "V for Vendetta"
- Diedrich Knickerbockerthe fictional 'author' of Washington Irving's History of New York (1809)
- Diedrich Hoffendahlrevolutionary in The Princess Casamassima (1866) by Henry James
- Dietrich Mannheimcharacter on TV's "Psych"
- Diedrichfemale character in manga/anime "Claymore"