Literary elaboration of Clara"bright, clear"
Clarinda Origin and Meaning
The name Clarinda is girl's name of Latin origin meaning "bright, clear".
A poetic name first used in Edmund Spenser's "The Faerie Queene" in 1596, it had a literary vogue in the 18th century, especially favored by Robert Burns. "inda" names--Melinda, Belinda, Linda" are not particularly in right now.
20 Names Similar to Clarinda
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Clarinda.
Famous People Named Clarinda
- Clarinda Maria SinnigeDutch field hockey player
- Clarindapen name of a 17th century Peruvian female poet
Clarinda in Pop Culture
- Clarindacharacter in Spenser's epic The Faerie Queene
- Clarindaname given by Scottish poet Robert Burns to Agnes Maclehose
- Clarindaa major character in The Virtuoso, a play first produced in 1676
- Clarindaa major character in The Lovers' Progress, an early 17th,century play
- Clarindaa character in The Deserving Favourite, another early 17th,century play
- Clarindaa character in the play The Sea Voyage, licensed for performance in 1622
- "Clarinda" 1948 novel by Vicki Baum, also published as Headless Angel
- Lady Clarindacharacter in Thomas Love Peacock's 1831 novel Crotchet Castle