Scottish form of Katherine, Greek"pure"
Catriona Origin and Meaning
The name Catriona is girl's name of Gaelic origin meaning "pure".
This Katherine variation, used through Ireland and Scotland, is pronounced like Katrina. The name became popular after the Crusaders brought home stories about the colorful fourth century martyr, Catherine of Alexandria. Its later popularity increased following the success of Robert Louis Stevenson's 1893 Catriona, the sequel to Kidnapped.
20 Names Similar to Catriona
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Catriona.
Lists containing Catriona
- Unique International Variations of Katherine
- International Variations of Katherine
- Scottish Baby Names
- Names That Mean Pure
- Literary Girl Names
- Best British Girl Names
- Literary Baby Names
- Best Unique Baby Names
Famous People Named Catriona
- Catriona LeMay DoanCanadian Olympic speed skater
- Catriona RowntreeAustralian TV presenter
- Catriona Isobel MatthewScottish golfer
- Catriona MacCollEnglish actress
- Catriona "Cat" SparksAustralian science fiction and fantasy novelist
- Catriona GrayFilipina,Scottish singer, model, and theatre actress, Miss Universe 2018
Catriona in Pop Culture
- Catriona Hartdegenfemale scholar and sword fighter from the TV show Penny Dreadful (pronounced Cat,tree,AWN,uh in the show)
- Catrionacharacter in the film 'I Know Where I'm Going’
- Catriona Drummondmain character in R.L. Stevenson's 1893 novel 'Catriona' , a vibrant Highland girl who eventually marries David Balfour of Stevenson's earlier novel 'Kidnapped'