Selene Origin and Meaning
The name Selene is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "moon goddess".
Selene may be the mythological Greek original, but Latin variation Selena is used more often in the US these days. Selene is the Greek goddess of the moon, sister of Helios the sun god. Selene is also sometimes called Cynthia and Phoebe. The name may be related to the word selas, which means light, and is one of the loveliest of the Greek goddess names.
# 858 in the US
Selene Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Selene
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Selene.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Selene
Famous People Named Selene
- Cleopatra Selene IIdaughter of Cleopatra and Mark Antony, twin sister of Alexander Helios (Helios and Selene are Greek for "sun" and "moon," respectively)
- Selene LunaMexican actress
- Selene Here VigilWilk, American singer of band 7 Year Bitch
Selene in Pop Culture
- Selenecharacter in the Underworld movie franchise
- Selene Galliovillain in X,Men comics
- Selenebirth name of Cinder, main character of Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles series
- Selenesabre,toothed tiger on TV series "Cro"
- Selene Lindstromcharacter in Isaac Asimov's novel "The Gods Themselves"
- Selenealias used by Lanfear in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series
- Selene Waitescharacter in "Another Thing to Fall" by Laura Lippman
- "The heathenish given name of this young woman was pronounced as Saylay,nay by herself and her father; Aaron later compromised as Say,lane; most people, including the Bois missionaries, called her See,lean. That it was an appellation of the swift moon goddess (something that Aaron never knew and Selene may not have known) was not too unsuitable." [Sinclair Lewis, "The God,seeker," 1949]
- "Selene" song by Imagine Dragons