Parthenia Origin and Meaning
The name Parthenia is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "chaste maiden".
Parthenia may be a bit unwieldy, but does conjure up majestic images of the Parthenon.
20 Names Similar to Parthenia
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Parthenia.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Parthenia
Parthenia in Pop Culture
- ~ Parthenia ("Parthy") Ann Hawksa character in Edna Ferber's novel "Show Boat" (1926)
- ~ Comes from an epithet of the Greek goddess Athena; the Parthenonin Athens, was the temple of Athena Parthenos, i.e. Athena the maiden goddess
- ~ Latinized form of Greek partheneia = "maidenhood"
- ~ Greek parthenos = "a woman who chooses her own husband" (mistranslated "virgin")
- ~ "Parthenia" (c.1611)Renaissance music collection
- ~ First seems to have been used as a name in the Englishspeaking world in the 1870s