Irving Origin and Meaning
The name Irving is a boy's name of Scottish origin meaning "green river, sea friend".
It might be surprising to know that this name originated as a Scottish place and surname name, as in Washington Irving. It became a popular choice for first-generation Jewish-American boys, such as best-selling authors Irving Stone and Irving Wallace, whose parents looked to surnames from the British Isles to confer a measure of assimilation and class. Irving Berlin changed his name from Israel; actor Ving Rhames streamlined and coolized it. Irving was a Top 100 name during World War I, and though we don't envision it reaching those heights again, we can see some hipster parents having their own little Ving.
20 Names Similar to Irving
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Irving.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Irving
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Names That Mean New and New Beginnings
- Names That Mean Water
- Names That Mean Green
- Green Names for Dogs
- Taurus Baby Names
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Nature Names for Babies
- Reptile Names
- Beach Baby Names
- Labrador Retriever Names
- Names That Mean Friend or Friendly
- Friendly Dog Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With I
- Names That Mean Ocean
- Names That Mean Ocean
- Hipster Baby Names
- Werewolf Baby Names
- Old People Names
- Jewish Baby Names
- May Baby Names
Famous People Named Irving
- Irving Berlin (born Israel Isidore Baline)American composer
- Irving Grant ThalbergAmerican film producer
- Washington IrvingAmerican author
- Irving Rameses "Ving" RhamesAmerican actor
- Irving Lester JanisAmerican research psychologist
- Irving Mills (born Isadore Minsky)American jazz publisher and musician
- Irving Caesar(born Isidor Keiser) American lyricist
- Irving LangmuirAmerican Nobel Prize,winning chemist
- Irving FisherAmerican economist
Irving in Pop Culture
- Irving "Irv" Harpercharacter on TV's "Everwood"
- Lloyd Irvingmain character of video game "Tales of Symphonia"
- Irving Hillmancharacter in newspaper comic strip "Cathy"
- Irving Beaksa character from the Nickelodeon cartoon "Harvey Beaks"
- Irvingcharacter mentioned in the movie "Chicago," during the "Cell Block Tango" number
- Irving BurnsideJon Arbuckle's next door neighbor in the cartoon show "Garfield and Friends"