Averil Origin and Meaning
The name Averil is a girl's name of English origin meaning "boar battle".
One of the rare English surname names originally derived from a female given name: Eoforhild (Everild), meaning "boar battle". Also spelled Averill, it's an extremely rare choice today, but shares sounds with fashionable Ava and Avery.
20 Names Similar to Averil
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Averil.
Lists containing Averil
Famous People Named Averil
- Averil Maureen Anita "Lana" MorrisEnglish actress
- Averil Ivespseudonym for English romance writer Ida Pollock
- Averil LeimonScottish psychologist and writer
Averil in Pop Culture
- Averil Lesterheroine of "Averil's Atonement", a story written by Anne Shirley in "Anne of Avonlea" by L.M. Montgomery
- Variations: AverildaAverill, Averilla, Avril, Everelda, Everell, Everil, Everild, Everilda, Everildis, Everill, etc.
- A vernacular form of Everild (the name of a 7thcentury English saint); it survived for centuries in Yorkshire.