Sister Origin and Meaning
Sister is an old-timey nickname-name for girls, ranking in the Top 1000 as a proper name for girls until the beginning of the 20th century. But more often, Sister was used as a nickname in the truest sense of the word, not a short form ala Kathy but a nickname in the way that Chip and Bud are. Or maybe Junior is a more appropriate name analogy: Sister was sometimes the nickname given to the only girl in a family of boys, so literally a descriptive word name like Junior.
In the most recent year counted, Sister was given as a full name to zero baby girls in the US and was probably used in a casual way by not that many more.
Sister Rank in US Top 1000
Famous People Named Sister
- Sister Souljah (born Lisa Williamson)American author and activist
- Sister Blissstage name of Ayalah Deborah Bentovim, English keyboardist of Faithless
- Sister Nancystage name of Ophlin Russell, Jamaican dancehall singer
- Kid Sisterstage name of Melisa Young, American rapper
- Sister Romastage name of Michael Williams, American drag queen
Sister in Pop Culture
- Sister Bearbear character in children's book series "The Berenstain Bears"
- Sister Grimm aka Nico Minorucharacter in Marvel Comics
- Twisted SisterAmerican rock band
- Sister HazelAmerican rock band
- Sister Tonicharacter on TV's "The L Word"
- Sister SledgeAmerican music group
- "Sister Christian" song by Night Ranger
- "Sister" 2012 Swiss film
- "Sister Carrie" novel by Theodore Dreiser
- Kid Sistera brand of life,size doll
- Sisterterm for a nun in several religious traditions