TAN-a-quill or tan-a-KEEL
Etruscan"gift of God"
Tanaquil Origin and Meaning
The name Tanaquil is girl's name of Latin origin meaning "gift of God".
This intriguing name of an ancient Etruscan queen renowned for her prophetic powers was long associated with the prima ballerina Tanaquil LeClerq.
20 Names Similar to Tanaquil
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Tanaquil.
Famous People Named Tanaquil
- Tanaquil (7th century BC)wife of Lucius Tarquinius Priscus, the fifth king of Rome
- Tanaquil "Tanny" LeClerq (19292000), prima ballerina
- Tanaquil JonesAmerican activist
- Tanaquil Enzensberger (b. 1957)daughter of German writer Hans Magnus Enzensberger
Tanaquil in Pop Culture
- Tanaquil, aka Gloriana, the titular fairy queen in Spenser's poem The Faerie Queene (1590), a representation of Elizabeth I: "He [Oberon] dying, left the fairest Tanaquil / Him to succeed therein, by his last Will: / Fairer and nobler liveth none this hour. / Ne like in Grace, ne like in learned Skill; / Therefore they Glorian[a] call that glorious Flower. / Long mayst thou Glorian live, in Glory and great Power."
- Tanaquil, the heroine of Tanith Lee's Unicorn trilogy (the young daughter of a powerful sorceress, who brings a unicorn to life)
- Origin: Latinization of the Etruscan Thanchvil (or Thanchivil, Thancvil, Thanachvil, Thanacvil, Than(a)qvil, etc.), a theophoric name, Thana + cvil, "gift of Thana" (probably from the name of a lost Etruscan goddess, Thana)
- Also pronounced like tranquil: TAN,a,quill