Scottish spelling variation of Rhona; Norwegian; Hebrew"might; song"
Rona Origin and Meaning
The name Rona is girl's name of Scottish origin meaning "might; song".
Rona ranked in the US Top 1000 in the mid-20th century but holds new meaning in the 2020s. "Rona" has become slang for coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, which gives the name a dark and somber edge. In 2020, Rona was given to 17 baby girls (a fall from 26 the previous year). In 2021, it dropped to just 5 — we expect it to drop off the list entirely in the years to come.
20 Names Similar to Rona
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Rona.
Famous People Named Rona
- Ronalee "Rona" Chapchuk AmbroseCanadian politician
- Rona AndersonScottish actress
- Rona BarrettAmerican gossip columnist
- Rona Alison FairheadEnglish businesswoman and chair of the BBC Trust
- Rona JaffeAmerican novelist
- Rona MunroScottish playwright and novelist
- Rona Jean MurrayCanadian poet
- Rona NishliuAlbanian Kosovar singer,songwriter
- Rona Miriel StevensonNew Zealand politician
- Ellen Rona BarkinAmerican actress
Rona in Pop Culture
- Rona Lisa Peretticharacter in "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee"
- Ronacharacter on TV's "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer"
- Ronacharacter in anime "Ojamajo Doremi"
- Ronaa legendary Maori woman who cursed the moon
- "Rona" or "Miss Rona" is a common nickname for the COVID19 virus