Spelling variation of Layla (Arabic); Sami variation of Helga (Finland)"night; holy"
Laila Origin and Meaning
The name Laila is a girl's name of Arabic origin meaning "night; holy".
Beguiling and lovely, Laila is one of the lilting variations of Leila and Layla. It's the name of the former-boxer daughter of Muhammad Ali and of actor Shawn Wayans. In Finland, the Sami people use this in place of the Scandinavian name Helga.
# 308 in the US
Laila Rank in US Top 1000
# 737 on Nameberry
Laila Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Laila
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Laila.
Famous People Named Laila
- Laila Amaria AliAmerican boxer; daughter of boxer Muhammad Ali
- Laila Morse (born Maureen "Mo" Oldman)English actress
- Laila MehdinIndian actress
- Laila Abdesselam RouassBritish actress
- Laura Annikki "Laila" KinnunenFinnish pop singer
- Laila Natali Bagge WahlgrenSwedish manager and songwriter
- Laila Ellen Kaarina HirvisaariFinnish novelist
- Laila LalamiMoroccan,American novelist
- Laila StienNorwegian novelist
- Laila Ali Abdulla4th First Lady of the Maldives as wife of president Mohamed Nasheed; mother of Meera Laila and Zaaya Laila Nasheed
- Laila Wayansdaughter of actor Shawn Wayans
- Laila Rose Lynche (b. 2012)daughter of singer Michael Lynche
- Laila Aubrielle (b. 2013)daughter of Jazmin Young of TV's "16 and Pregnant"
- Laila Bullock (adopted 2015)daughter of actress Sandra Bullock
Laila in Pop Culture
- Laila Markusdaughter of Grace and Leo on TV's "Will and Grace"
- Lailaspelling more often used in Finland, where it is pronounced like Lila/Lyla
- Lailacharacter in "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini