Lafayette Origin and Meaning
The name Lafayette is boy's name of French origin meaning "faith".
Foppish name with a distinguished forebear, French general Marquis de Lafayette, who fought in the American Revolution. It accounts for the L in L. Ron Hubbard. Old-time short form: Fayette or Fate.
20 Names Similar to Lafayette
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Lafayette.
Lists containing Lafayette
- Adorable Poodle Names
- New York Baby Names
- Names with Inspirational Meanings
- Colonial Names for Boys
- Colonial Names from the 1700s
- Names That Mean Faith
- TV Character Names
Famous People Named Lafayette
- Lafayette Ronald "L. Ron" HubbardAmerican author and founder of Scientology
- MarieJoseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de La Fayette , French aristocrat and hero of the American Revolution
- Lafayette YoungU.S. Senator from Iowa
- Lafayette Sabine FosterU.S. Senator from Connecticut
- Lafayette Curry BakerAmerican investigator and Civil War spy
- Lafayette GuildU.S. Civil War surgeon and yellow fever pioneer
- Lafayette LaneU.S. Congressman from Oregon
- LaFayette "Fayette" McMullenU.S. Congressman from Virginia; 2nd governor of Washington Territory
- Lafayette Benedict MendelAmerican biochemist
- Lafayette "Fat" LeverAmerican basketball player
- Lafayette H. "Reb" RussellAmerican NFL football player
Lafayette in Pop Culture
- Lafayette Reynoldscharacter on TV's "True Blood"
- Lafayettehound dog in Disney's "The AristoCats"
- Lafayette Kettle"Secretary of the Watertoast Institution, of presumptuous ignorance and unabashed vulgarity," in "Martin Chuzzlewit" (1844) by Charles Dickens
- Lafayette Joynergrandfather to George Webber in Thomas Wolfe's "You Can't Go Home Again" (1941)
- LafayetteLouisiana (pronounced "la,fee,ETT" , first syllable sounds like the word "laugh")