Charis Origin and Meaning
The name Charis is girl's name of Greek origin meaning "grace".
Reference to the mythological Three Graces of womanly charm, this one representing charity. Pronounced in Greek as starting with a back-of-the-throat H sound, most English-speakers would translate that to something closer to KAR-is. It's also the name of a girl who lived in Atlantis in the novel Taliesin, and appears in the Margaret Atwood novel The Robber Bride.
20 Names Similar to Charis
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Charis.
Famous People Named Charis
- Charis Elisa MichelsenAmerican actress and model
- (Helen) Charis WilsonAmerican model for photographer Edward Weston
- Charis BoyleAmerican model
- Charis Pulvar (b. 1998)daughter of Audrey Pulvar
- Charis Amber LincolnAmerican Youtuber
Charis in Pop Culture
- CharisGreek term for any of three goddesses of charm, beauty, nature, human creativity, and fertility, together known as the Charites or Graces
- Chariswife of Hephaestus in Homer's Iliad
- Charis (born Karen)character in Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride"
- Charisnarrator of "The Story of the Greek Slave," by Captain Marryat
- Charis Merrivillebeautiful sister of the title character in Georgette Heyer's "Frederica" (1965): "Charis! And I thought that never was anyone more aptly named, for it means 'grace', you know,,from the Greek."