We are thrilled to announce the new, redesigned, and much improved Nameberry, introducing a host of new features now and over the days and weeks to come.
Designed by the fabulous Tedworth & Oscar, aka the British brother team Joe and Jake Baggaley, the new Nameberry is completely responsive, created to look as beautiful and work as seamlessly on your iPhone as it does on your big-screen desktop.
Besides its new mobile capabilities, other changes you’ll notice on Nameberry right away:
– An updated, more sophisticated palette, expanding on our standard pink-and-blue with a range of pastels keyed to different functions.
– Expanded list pages, giving you a snippet of information on all the lists in a category or a bit about every name in the list. Plus the option to view lists old-school, as just a complete array of linked names.
– Simplified name ratings, letting you vote yay, nay, or meh for every name.
On the advertising side, we’re excited about our new partnership with Parents Network, a division of Meredith Corporation connected with the wonderful Parents Magazine and parents.com, which will be supplying many of the ads our U.S. visitors see on our site.
And there’s more, much more, to come over the next few weeks:
– Home pages dedicated to Girls’ Names, Boys’ Names, and Unisex Names, featuring a fantastic infographic by berry Steve Ruble on the ratio of girls and boys given the most popular unisex names over the past 130 years.
– A brand-new Nameberry Store, where we’ll be selling name-related products created especially for our Berries, from adorable personalized baby hats to gorgeous name charms to fun temporary tattoos designed to help you solicit baby name opinions.
– The first of a series of exclusive Nameberry e-books, called The Nameberry Guide to Off-the-Grid Baby Names, detailing our picks of thousands of names never in the U.S. Top 1000.
And into the future, we have lots more planned: a place for visitor comments on every name, a way for berries to contribute names to the site, and beyond.
We’ll bring you lots more details and information as the new features of the site debut. Join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for the most current news and discussion.
We have to extend a thanks to berry Georgia Brizuela, an Australian photographer and mother of two-going-on-three, whose gorgeous photographs — that’s her picture illustrating this post — and blog Documenting Delight led us to the wonderful designers who transformed Nameberry. And there’s a name component to this story too.
When we followed the design link on Georgia‘s blog and wrote to Tedworth & Oscar (or was it Ted, Worth, and Oscar?), we were mystified and delighted to get a response from a fellow named Joe — which just so happens to be one of our favorite names (more on that tomorrow). While we went on to interview and be impressed and then even more impressed by the work of Joe and his brother Jake, the truth was, they had us at Joe.
Which just goes to show: Names really can change your life.
Now please go and explore the new Nameberry and tell us what you find, what you love, what other changes you’d like to see!