English or Latin"from the north; or, the pattern"
Norma Origin and Meaning
The name Norma is a girl's name of English origin meaning "from the north; or, the pattern".
Invented for Bellini's opera, Norma had some star quality in the silent-screen and Marilyn Monroe days, but at this point it's a graying grandma in baby name limbo.
# in the US
Norma Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Norma
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Norma.
Famous People Named Norma
- Norma Jeane Mortenson/Bakerbirth name of American pop culture icon Marilyn Monroe
- Norma TalmadgeAmerican actress of the silent era
- (Edith) Norma ShearerAmerican actress
- Norma Descygne SmallwoodMiss America 1926
- Norma Deloris Egstrombirth name of Peggy Lee, American singer
- Norma Fox MazerAmerican children's novelist
- Norma KleinAmerican children's novelist
- Norma Aleandro (Robledo)Argentine actress
- Norma CraneAmerican actress
- Norma MacMillanCanadian voice actress
- Norma Christina Elizabeth MajorLady Major, wife of British Prime Minister John Major
- Norma Beatriz NolanMiss Argentina and Miss Universe 1926
- Norma Leah McCorvey aka Jane Roeplaintiff in the U.S. Roe v. Wade court case
- Norma ColeAmerican poet
- Norma TeagardenAmerican jazz pianist
- Norma Ann WinstoneEnglish jazz singer
- Norma Christine WatersonEnglish folk singer of The Watersons
Norma in Pop Culture
- "Norma Rae" movie starring Sally Field as Norma Rae Webster
- Norma Arnoldmother on TV's "The Wonder Years"
- Norma Batesmain character on TV's "Bates Motel" and movie "Psycho"
- Norma Batescharacter on American soap "Passions"
- Norma Desmondcharacter in movie "Sunset Boulevard"
- Norma Cenvacharacter in the "Dune" series
- Norma Romanocharacter on Netflix's "Orange Is the New Black"
- Normaminor character from video game "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest"
- Normacharacter in book/movie "Carrie"
- Grammy Normacharacter in movie "The Lorax"
- Norma DePlumecharacter in video game "Ace Attorney"
- Normaconstellation of the southern sky
- "Norma" opera by Vincenzo Bellini and its main character
- "Norma" play by Henrik Ibsen and its main character
- "Norma" novel by Vladimir Sorokin