The New Everyboy Names: Emmett, River, and Axel

comments

16 Responses to “The New Everyboy Names: Emmett, River, and Axel”

Saracita00 Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 12:22 am

I’ve been saying that -ER names for boys will be the next BIG thing in coming years (like Aidan big) and judging by this list, the -ER names are just getting started.

I do think that parents are more open to ancient, as well as newly-coined, names for boys. Even fictional character names are now on the table for consideration. It’s an exciting time to name a boy!

WaltzingMoreThanMatilda Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 2:26 am

Aether and Gaia are a very daring sibset! But I do love it.

It’s definitely a great time to name a boy – I’m constantly blown away by the interesting choices people are making for their sons.

R_J Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 7:40 am

Interesting that John Aether got a “safe” first name (even if they plan to use the middle exclusively,) unlike sister Gaia.

namefan Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 11:40 am

I’ve noticed similar trends just in the past few years about boy’s names becoming more daring. For example, when looking at the 2012 list to that of around 2006-7 there has been more turnover with the boy’s Top 10 than the girls, more girls than boys now get the #1 name (although that tapers off and reverses to the “traditional” pattern after the first few names), and there are now more “non-traditional” names in the boy’s Top 10 than on the girl’s side (as most of us know historically, at least in the time that SSA has records, it’s been the other way around with each of these cases).

Oleander Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 11:40 am

I LOVE the name River, but actually prefer Rivers. My step grandfather’s name is Rivers and he will be 96 this year, so I guess his parents were really ahead of their time. I love the name Jude, and Sullivan is one of my long time personal favorite that I am HOPING does not get too popular. I have loved it ever since I was a little girl and obsessed with Sully on Doctor Quinn. It is in the top 5 boy names for me.

I m not a fan of fletcher, that is a city nearby and I just can’t think of it as a first name (it is also a common last name here.) Not a fan of Jasper (don’t like the sound of it), Emmett (too much like the popular Emma), or Axel (makes me think of long haired rockers and car parts.)

Carter is way to common a last name around here for me. Since I live in the Carolinas, Durham would never work (and is a city to me, not a first name at all.)

I don’t like Matteo at all. Clement and Harper are last names I could never use as a first name. Baxter is just not my style.

Aether is interesting, at first glance I don’t like it, but I think it could grow on me.

krysta221 Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 11:50 am

I’m kinda loving Durham. My husband would never go for it (he hates Duke) but I think it is a great name.

lynneinlove Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Any pronunciation guide on Aether? My mind wants to say “Ay-thur”…

Also, some of my favorites are listed (or mentioned) here! Jasper, Jude, Axel, Carter…

It’s definitely a very exciting time to name a boy, so much more freedom than ever before! Character names, musical references, ancient appellations… (Although I do believe that there is still more freedom in naming girls…)

namefan Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I made a mistake on my post – it should say “when comparing the 2012 list to that of around 2006-7″; I forgot to revise that after making a change before I posted.

iwillpraise Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

A good friend of mine just named her baby boy Arrow Locke….

Jasper and Durham are my favorites from this list.
I really like Tobiah Jasper …too bad my husband won’t get on board with it

I’ve met a Lukeriver before. Fellow high school students apparently know him simply by “Luke” because his teachers refuse to accept River as part of his name, especially part of his first… how strange is that? I mean, even if you don’t like a name, you have to respect the person enough to call them by their given name. I’m sure those teachers are ready to retire… wonder what Lukeriver will name his children when he has them in a few years?

OliviaSarah Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Durham is just funny to me because I live so close to the English town (Kendall, London, Bingley, Ireland grate me to the bone – why not Wales or Grimsby, how cute!)

I desperately don’t want Emmett to catch on in the UK like Hudson seems to be – they’re two of my absolute favourites! Although Emmett is seen as unusually Americanised here so maybe it will do a bit of good.

I love Axel too :)

LuMary Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I agree that there are more options for boys than 10 years ago. It seems almost every genre of name can be justified. What with vintage comebacks, nature, surname, nickname and word names, the list is infinite. I prefer classics, though, especially for boys.

Emmett is too soft a name for a boy in my opinion, as is Elliot.

Isn’t Axel a German name?

I don’t care for Matteo, Cruz, or Luca unless the boy’s ethnicity matches. They’re too ethnic to me, at the moment.

mickie86 Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Yes, some of these names are beginning to get popular in my area. I actually have nephews named River, Xavier, Frankie, Max and Carter! Friends of mine have sons named Hudson and Briggs. I love their names and they fit so well! I also love Arlo, Sullivan, Baxter, Matteo and Jude from these Everyboy names!
However, some of the above mentioned names I’m not fond of…… Aether reminds me of a gas, Emmet reminds me of an old farmer, and Axel reminds me of someone in rehab. I guess I have a case of name association with those :0.

strawberrytree Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I don’t think that list you linked is the top baby names in Canada- I believe those are the names that Canadian Living readers like. This is, as far as I know, the closest to an SSA list Canada has (you can find individual lists by province, but not for the whole country that state the # of children who were given the name): http://www.todaysparent.com/top-100-baby-names-in-canada-2013/. Today’s Parent says they made their list in accordance to Statistics Canada. Besides, the comments on that article show that it was published months ago, before 2013 data would be available. Liam is #1. Carter makes the list at #30.

Maura Says:

January 13th, 2014 at 11:33 pm

I LOVE River! Taylor and Natalie Hanson named their third child River, and they named him after a song Hanson wrote in 1994 called River. Also love Jasper a lot-it’s Dutch. Names that end in o, Matteo, Leo, Milo, Hugo, Carlo….those are really hot right now. Xavier I love but the X has a Z sound, not “exzavier”

marisarose Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Aether (as I understand it) is pronounced EE-th-er (like Ethan…)

Los nombres de moda para 2014 | Mil ideas para mamá Says: