Colonial Names for Boys
Josiah -- a biblical name with lots of quaint, old-fashioned charm -- makes a much fresher sounding alternative to either Joseph or Joshua, combining the best of both. Josiah is now at Number 57,... Read More
Jothan or Jotham was both a son of Gideon and a king of Judah in the Bible. One of the biblical boys' names that's still obscure -- though like so many others in this class, it could be rediscovered.Read More
Lazarus is a name that looks as if it could possibly be raised from the dead, just like its biblical bearer. Look for it in the next wave of Old Testament revivals that transcend their... Read More
Lemuel is a neglected Old Testament name, with the friendly nickname Lem, that we're surprised hasn't been picked up on by parents who have known too many Samuels.
In the Bible, Lemuel... Read More
Levi, lighter and more energetic than most biblical names, with its up vowel ending, combines Old Testament gravitas with the casual flair associated with Levi Strauss jeans.
Now being... Read More
Can Linus lose its metaphorical security blanket and move from the Peanuts page onto the birth certificate? We think it has enough charm and other positive elements going for it for the answer to... Read More
Recent User Lists
- Cowboy / Western Names (BOYS)
- Skyrim Girl Names
- Boys Names that Sound Both Strong and Smart
- Classic, but Uncommon Names
- my top Hyphen girl Names
Also written as Michaiah, this name is used for several Biblical characters both male and female. Makes a fresh and distinctive twist on Michael, Michelle, or Micaela. Antiquated yet... Read More
Nehemiah is an Old Testament name used by the Puritans, whose white-bearded image kept it out of favor for centuries, until it suddenly reappeared in 1998, along with the more user-friendly Josiah... Read More
For the seriously audacious biblical baby namer who wants to move beyond Elijah and Josiah, this name has considerable old-fangled charm. Obadiah, who gave his name to one of the shortest books in... Read More
Could Philo be the next Milo?
We love the o-ending and sweet meaning of this dynamic and distinctive Greek name, often used in literature, but never particularly popular.
The... Read More
You might also like these lists:
- Cool Girl Names from Ancient Cultures Includes: Aurelia
- Baby Names That Mean Luck Includes: Asher
- Space Baby Names Includes: Aurora
- Italian Word Names Includes: Aurora
- Names Girls Love Having Includes: Ariel
- 1900s Baby Names Includes: Arthur
- Belles of the Ball Includes: Annabel, Arabella
- Unisex Baby Names Includes: Avery
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration Includes: Adeline, Amos, Atticus
- Literary Names for Girls Includes: Arabella, Aurora