Here at nameberry, we’re not so much in the business of tracking which names are popular now – the Social Security Administration does that more accurately than we ever could – but of predicting which names are going to be popular in the future. The reason for all this prognosticating: Many parents want to know which names that sound fresh and stylish today might be in for overexposure tomorrow.
To that end, we’ve come up with our picks for the top baby names a decade from now. Some of these are already rising rapidly through the ranks; others might still be considered cutting edge (but won’t be for long). And because we’re not perfect, we give alternative choices for each slot.
Here, the top baby names for both girls and boys for 2019.
1. AVA – Glamour Girl name beats out Eva along with other A names for top spot. Runner up: AVERY or ADA.
2. AMELIA – New spin on long-time number one Emily and contender Emma. Runner up: EMILIA.
3. ELLA – All names –ella – Isabella, Gabriella, Stella – have been popular, but Ella itself gets the most attention. Runner up: ELLIE.
4. GRACE – Simple, cool, and well, graceful. Runner up: HOPE.
5. VIOLET – Purple-y flower name popularized by Ben and Jen’s little girl. Runner up: SCARLETT.
6. RUBY – Sassy choice with a rich jewel undertone. Runner up: SADIE or PEARL.
7. LILY – The double L is a winning sound. Runner up: LILA.
8. MATILDA – Unlikely hottie, the old-fashioned name was given star power by the daughter of Michelle Williams and Heath Ledger. Runner up: MILLIE.
9. HARPER – Boyish choice with literary ties to (female) author Harper Lee. Runner up: FLANNERY.
10. EVELYN – Grandma name just beginning to enjoy a revival, thanks to the Eva/Ava craze. Runner up: EVELINE.
1. ETHAN—This likable Biblical name makes it to the top. Runner up: CALEB.
2. AIDEN—Traditonal Irish name replaces trendier Cadens and Jaydens. Runner up: LIAM.
3. JACK – Relaxed nickname name becomes megapopular. Runner up: CHARLIE.
4. OSCAR—Odd Couple name gains wide acceptance. Runner up: FELIX.
5. MILO—Parents like the upbeat, energetic O-ending. Runner up: LEO.
6. ZANE—Western cowboy name gallops up the list. Runner up: RYDER.
7. CASH—The failed credit economy continues to impact baby names. Runner up: CHASE.
8. MADDOX—Reflects the long-term effect of the Jolie-Pitts on baby names. Runner up: PAX.
9. MAVERICK—Maverick is a maverick no longer, as many parents mistakenly think they have found a unique name. Runner up: MAXIMUS.
10. WALTER—Walter? Yes, baby namers of 2020 have increasingly turned to serious, solid, somewhat fusty names. Runner up: ARTHUR.
Read & Post Comments