Let’s hear it for Auntie Name!

comments

34 Responses to “Let’s hear it for Auntie Name!”

starophie Says:

July 25th, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Hilda, Zelda, Em, and Mame – what more could you ask for in a post? Awesome!

Lena Says:

July 25th, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Aunts Evy and Sissy from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. In fact, the entire novel is filled with gorgeous names!

CountryLizB Says:

July 25th, 2012 at 11:49 pm

What about Martha from Arsenic and Old Lace?

Rosamund Says:

July 25th, 2012 at 11:50 pm

So happy to see this posted today because I’m going to be an aunt tomorrow for the first time!
Two other Aunt names from “Gone with the Wind” are Scarlett’s aunties Eulalie and Pauline.

Mara_lyn86 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 12:46 am

Oh not Agatha or Augusta! Those are two of my options for our next little girl. Luckily a lot of people hate the name Agatha (at least outside of nameberry) so I would be surprised if it shot up in popularity. (crosses fingers)
Others in this post I love are Lavinia and Matilda. My hubby hates Lavinia though, so will have to use for a beloved pet someday. :)
Here are some funny Aunt names that will never come into use but are funny to add:
Aunt Spiker and Aunt Sponge from James and the Giant Peach.

linda Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 1:05 am

All great additions!

Poppy528 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 1:09 am

I can’t think of a single Auntie to add … but these names are all delightful. Very nice post. These names are all on my fave names list, in one form or another (yes even Beulah).

titch Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 1:25 am

We have an Agatha and Aunt Agatha (of PG Wodehouse fame) is one of the reasons we love it so much. I am also thrilled to see the name of my next daughter (should I be lucky enough to have one) on this list – who knew I liked “Aunt” names?! Great post, thanks!

heimarmene Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 1:47 am

Love this post, but just wanted to point out that Mr. Darcy’s sister’s name is actually Georgiana! :)

Xiao Noelle Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 2:00 am

She’s not from literature or the screen, but who could forget Aunt Jemima? One of my favorite names. My husband and I recently reviewed our ancestry in search of a name for our baby on the way, and I was thrilled to discover we both had G-G-grandmothers named Jemima!

thompssn Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 2:10 am

Aunt Fran and Aunt Effie from Mama’s Family. Lots of good names on that show! :)

doodle Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 3:04 am

Wasn’t Aunt March’s name in Little Women also Josephine? There’s an Aunt Josephine in the Lemony Snicket series, too.

cilla Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 4:30 am

in Matilda Miss Honeys Aunt Is Agatha Trunchbull (Miss Trunchbull)

aunt_ning Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 6:42 am

Actually Aunt March did have a name. Her name is Josephine, which is why Jo was named Josephine, and Aunt March left the house to her.

chilly9296 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 7:53 am

From the movie Practical Magic (one of my favs!) – Aunt Frances “Fran” and Aunt Bridget “Jet” plus you have the names Sally and Gillian and the little girls – Kylie and Antonia

L in Boston Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 8:34 am

From Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, you’ve got Aunt Miranda and Aunt Jane Sawyer. (There’s a book where imaginative naming is a huge theme!)

pam Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 8:36 am

Amazing roundup, Linda. My favorite aunt was Aunt Jeanne, short for Eugenia which was also my grandmother’s middle name and a name I thought was HORRIBLE growing up. Definitely evidence of the four generation rule i.e. one generation’s horrible is the next generation’s cool.

saraallison Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great post! @Lena, love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and the names! That book made me love Francie! I love a lot of these names. Personally I have a very dear aunt Rosemary. If we have any more kiddos, I would love to use her name!

jame1881 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 9:28 am

Aunt Rosamund – coming from a Downton Abbey nerd :)
I think authors give aunts the coolest names because who cares what you name a secondary character only seen a few times?

abelle2 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 9:36 am

Not to knit-pick, but I believe Dorothy had magical ruby shoes, not silver.

Mcdonak1 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 10:45 am

They were silver in the book, changed to ruby for the movie.

Mcdonak1 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 10:47 am

They were silver in the book, changed to ruby for the movie. It was all about monetary policy and the author’s disdain for the gold standard (yellow brick road led to a fake, when Dorothy’s salvation was actually in silver, etc.). I think that the ruby slippers were just to show off the new color technology.

hjteni Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 11:55 am

I love Augusta solely because of the Importance of Being Earnest! I think it would be adorable on a little girl; she could go by Gussie! Also love that you included Aunt Pittypat—Gone with the Wind is my favorite book. Very cool post!

Mara_lyn86 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I already made a comment but wanted to add one more thought. Zelda is a beautiful name but I don’t think people will get past the Legend of Zelda connotations until that game series is no longer being made. It will probably get more attention in our children’s generation.

namelover77 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thank you, L in Boston! I was just going to mention aunts Jane & Miranda. Love those names!

shinysarah11 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

You forgot Aunt Dimity! She’s the “heroine” of a series of mystery books about a woman in England who solves crimes and odd situations through the advice of her deceased aunt Dimity through a magical journal. The books are by Nancy Atherton and they are quick, cute reads. I really like the name Dimity, as it’s hidden old fashioned gem waiting to be discovered.

The only other time I’ve heard Dimity used was as a minor character in my fav book, Gone with the Wind. Dimity Munroe was the name, I believe.

Why isn’t Dimity in the Nameberry dictionary? I can’t seem to find it!

The only

miloowen Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Yes, Aunt March was Josephine, which is why Jo was named Josephine.

Also, Aunt Alexandra may have started out as a termagant but by the end of the novel, Jean-Louise is able to see her aunt as a woman of great conviction and a worthy model of womanhood.

Not only did I have some great “aunt” names in my family — Edith, Maud, Eleanor — I was also lucky enough to have “tantes” too, the Norwegian members of my family, whose names certainly qualify as well: Berentine, Gudrun, Anna, Solveig, and Berte.

Saracita00 Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Also there is Diana Barry’s Aunt Josephine in Anne of Green Gables, who seems crotchety at first but becomes great friends with the “Anne-girl.” There seem to be plenty of Aunt Josephines!

Emily Ila Says:

July 26th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I have an Aunt who I love named Carleen. I found out a few years ago that her mother is named Lurleen. Ah, Texas!

My other favorite Aunt has a very basic name, Lynn, but I will love the name forever because it reminds me of her :)

ssister Says:

October 6th, 2012 at 8:19 am

I sister is having a girl and she is looking for something French. I know that we have a great aunt named Francine and that has always reminded me of a French Princess. I also like Monique. Are there any other names that I can suggest to her?

AnaJo Says:

October 7th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Monique is very pretty. Here are some other suggestions.

Antoinette
Charisse
Lorraine
Renee
Noemie
Pierrette

ImpossibleDream91 Says:

November 20th, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Oh, how could you forget Aunt Marge? From Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter)? Shame. I do happen to love Alexandra and Beatrice, though.
I have an Aunty Helgrid – she’s from Germany. I’ve never heard her name on anyone else (at least not in Canada or the US)

Jennai Says:

April 4th, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Monika, Elvi (short for Elvira), Lieschen (nn of Elisabeth). All of my favourite aunts. :)

kerryberry Says:

September 3rd, 2013 at 4:58 am

My real-life great aunts all had formidable names –
eva gladys
mavis myrtle
nancy amy irene
hilda phoebe
they would all be howling with laughter (they all detested their own names)and would be totally incredulous that these “old aunt names” are now being used again