Dantea Berry Juice profile image

Animal Baby Names: Rare specimens

posted by: Dantea View all posts by this author

comments

20 Responses to “Animal Baby Names: Rare specimens”

Khoury.jk Says:

September 24th, 2013 at 11:07 pm

You wouldn’t hear Galah as a name in Australia – calling someone galah is slang for a fool! haha.

But Rosella is a great suggestion! I might have to add that to the list :)

Rin Says:

September 24th, 2013 at 11:15 pm

@Khoury.jk, That’s exactly what I was going to say about Galah. I’m from NZ but specifically remember my Dad saying stuff like, “You great galah!”, usually when watching the cricket(!)

Megalady Says:

September 24th, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Love Fennec. I actually was reading about Halcyon, kingfisher, today.

Natural Says:

September 24th, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I actually have Fennec, on my boy’s middle name list. I think the fennec fox is so gorgeous and whimsical looking.

Arlina Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 12:02 am

I went to school with a girl named Rosella, but she pronounced it more like Ruhz-ella. It is a very pretty name.

Aveline_Bellefleur Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 9:05 am

Lol, had to giggle @ the suggestion of Galah!! I picture the entire country shaking their heads in unison and disbelief hahahaha :D If I used Fennec in Australia, ppl *may* assume I was a boxing fanatic and put my unique stamp on Jeff Fenech’s name ;) Otherwise, it’s okay :)
In all, Brocken & Rosella are the only two I find (semi) appealing. I am amazed at the sudden popularity of Wren though, I do see it quite a bit here on NB :)
Great read :)

Aveline_Bellefleur Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 9:06 am

Whoa, sorry about all the smiley faces; overdid it there a bit…

taliesin Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 9:10 am

there’s a reason that Apple Martin is so weird. First her mother is who she is and then her name is Apple. I once met a teenager named Apple and I asked her how she liked her name. “I hate it!” All those kids of hippies grew up and changed their names but the damage had already been done.
The point is, sure these are cute unusual names, but maybe for your pet. Your child’s self-identity is formed by their name. This means nothing stupid or too unusual. The rule of thumb is: ask yourself what do celebrities (white trash with money) and trailer trash have in common. bastard children and stupid, embarrassing names for their children.
If you are going to call your child Jackie as a nickname, give her the name Jackie not something she’s going to be embarrassed about or hide.
This is even more true for boys. If there are ten Johns or Justins or Jacobs on the playground, not one of them will care but the kid named Fennec will be considered a freak. You are naming the child for him/her, not to express your own creativity. By the way, the lower down the social, economic scale you go, the more these stupid names are acceptable. If you name your son Zebrule, and you don’t live in a housing project, expect lots of behavior problems.

Mischa Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 9:18 am

My favourite is Grayling. I first heard the name on the British detective show “Inspector Morse”. It was the name of a female forensic specialist who had a father who loved fishing! The Fennec fox is adorable but I wouldn’t want to name my child after it.

Dantea Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 9:40 am

I had no idea about Galah! One instance where I failed to find something in my research. Pam and Linda, maybe go add that in there as a caution? I’m glad you all like some of them.

Taliesin — There is no reason to be rude or aggressive. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it low clash or white trash or the like. I’m not low class nor am I white trash or live in a housing project and my name is Angel. I assume you consider it trashy. My daughter has an unusual name. There are a lot of people from all demographics who use these and other unusual names. They’re getting more and more popular. I would appreciate a more polite response in the future.

jame1881 Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Warning about Urial: I pronounced it like Uriah with an “l” instead of a final “yuh”. Guess what it sounded like? It’s only one “n” away…
I agree with everyone else about Fennec! Love it!

Khoury.jk Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

hahahahahaha, sorry I can’t help by laugh at Taliesin’s ridiculous post. “bastard children” – what year is it? Pretty sure it’s 2013, not 1950.

“a child’s self identity is formed by their name”. hahahaha. I’m sure psychologists around the world completely agree with you. We’re all slaves to our name really. *sarcasm*

jenagain Says:

September 25th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I think Fennec (and Finnick) sound finicky.

But maybe that’s just me.

I think Jacana, Cabrilla and Rosella could all grow on me.

Fox Says:

September 26th, 2013 at 4:47 am

Yeah, um, galah is also a slang term for a stupid or loutish person, sort of like the better known “jackass”. NOT a good thing to inflict on your poor kid! :\

tori101 Says:

September 27th, 2013 at 3:46 am

My favourites:
Brocken
Zander

Cabrilla
Rosella

Anoa

Erinm Says:

September 27th, 2013 at 7:08 am

Ah and a galah is pink and grey not blue! Haha. Terrible name…

Erinm Says:

September 27th, 2013 at 7:11 am

Oh Iike Rosella, that is a beautiful parrot in australia. I thought of it the other day when I saw one flying.

Erinm Says:

September 27th, 2013 at 7:12 am

I meant to say I LIKE rosella!!

HannieKitt Says:

September 27th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Just to say that Barbet is also a breed of dog similar to the poodle. I didn’t realise it was a bird too.

IantheL Says:

October 19th, 2013 at 4:50 am

Yes I have an unusual name, and my parents would probably not appreciate being called white trash, nor were they hippies. Actually, it grew on me as I got older, I think it’s character forming! and I would never change it. Some names, though, are just cruel. Luckily the Galah mistake was corrected before anyone went there!