Category: Oscar nomination names
The list of nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards came out last week. Even though the only category in which I’ve actually seen all the contenders is Best Animated Feature Film, I’ve been digging through the nominees to find the most intriguing name options.
Here are my picks for the most award-winning names from this year’s list of nominees:
- Atticus, as in Atticus Ross, Trent Reznor’s long-time collaborator. The duo is nominated for their work on “The Social Network.” (Hat tip to C in DC for pointing him out!)
- Jem, the unusual nickname for James favored by Jeremy Renner’s character in “The Town.”
- Laser, the given name of the younger Hutcherson kid in the much-nominated “The Kids Are All Right.” (shown in illustration)
- Aron, the slimmed-down Scandinavian variant of Aaron worn by real life mountain climber Aron Ralston. James Franco could win Best Actor for his portrayal of Ralston in “127 Hours.”
- Bastien, from French filmmaker Bastien Dubois, nominated for “Madagascar, a Journey Diary.” Best Animated Short Film doesn’t get much press, but Dubois’ given name – a short form of Sebastian – could catch on.
- Hendrix, from Guy Hendrix Dyas, nominated for production design on “Inception.” If x-names from Felix to Jaxon can catch on, why not Hendrix? Dyas isn’t exactly a household name, but there’s Jimi Hendrix, too.
- Leonardo DiCaprio is a household name, and his character from “Inception” – Dom – could fit right in with Jack and Cole.
- Lastly, there’s a pleasing pair of English appellations from “The King’s Speech.” Geoffrey Rush played Lionel Logue, speech therapist to King George VI. There’s also Cosmo, as in the given name of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Lionel and Cosmo strike me as quite stylish names for small boys, even if the characters are rather serious.
Other famous babies making their debuts this week include Mike and Lahika Tyson’s son Morocco Elijah and Coco Reese Lakshmi, a daughter for No Doubt bassist Tony Kanal and girlfriend Erin Lokitz. We also learned that model Doutzen Kroes and DJ Sunnery James gave their son Phyllon a happy middle name – Joy.
Next week we’ll look at the Girls’ List of Oscar-inspired names, and find out if Best Actor nominee Javier Bardem and equally talented wife Penélope Cruz reveal the name they’ve chosen for their little star.