Category: names of angels
Most of us are familiar with the names of at least a few angels—after all, archangels Michael and Gabriel and to a lesser extent Raphael, have had widespread and long-lasting popularity over the years.
But there is a profusion of other angelic creatures whose names are not as well known. Thought of as messengers of light, angels are seen as reflecting God’s radiance. There are Biblical angels, seraphim and cherubs, and guardian angels who oversee various days, months, Zodiac signs, natural elements and virtues. There are angels in Persian and other Eastern religions and mythologies, and angels in works of fiction.
Then of course there is the whole family of straightforward Angel names–Angela, Angelica, Angelo, et al, that mean ‘angel’ or ‘messenger’; Evangeline, whose meaning, ‘good messenger’ relates to angel, and Seraphina, which is derived from the word seraphim.
Here, from various sources are 25 angel names worth considering:
- Abraxos – ancient name attributed to an angel
- Arael – angel of birds
- Cael –an angel ruling over the Zodiac sign of Cancer
- Calliel — a throne angel invoked to bring prompt help over adversity
- Charoum – angel of silence
- Dabria – one of five angels who transcribed the books that the Hebrew prophet Ezra dictated
- Dara – angel of rains and rivers in Persian mythology
- Dina – guardian angel of learning and wisdom
- Ezriel—an angel’s name discovered among the Dead Sea Scrolls.
- Hariel — the archangel who rules over December, the dawn and Capricorn; also the angel of tame animals and ruler of science and the arts
- Irin – the name of twin angels who constitute the supreme judgment of the heavenly court
- Janiel – angel ruling Tuesday and the east wind
- Javan – the guardian angel of Greece
- Kemuel – chief of the seraphim who stands at the window of heaven
- Laila, Lailah, Layla –the angel of conception who oversees and protects childbirth
- Nabu – a recording angel in heaven
- Nitika – Native American name meaning angel of precious stones
- Rabia – one of the ten angels accompanying the sun on its daily course
- Rachiel – angel who rules Venus and governs sexuality
- Raziel – an archangel who guards the secrets of the universe, the angel of mysteries
- Sarea – another of the five angels who transcribed the books the prophet Ezra dictated
- Tariel—the angel of summer
- Uriel – angel of the month of September, of those born under the signs of Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn; an angel of creativity
- Yael/Jael – a cherub who attends the throne of God
- Zaniel – angel who rules Mondays and the sign of Libra
Do you have a favorite angel name of your own?
By Elisabeth Wilborn
Christmas seems to arrive sooner every year. Once again, I am running frantically to cross things off the list, get the baking done, trim the tree (first we have to get that tree…), and find the ever elusive Christmas stockings before it’s too late. Some may have bigger –or smaller– things on their minds this season. An impending birth, perhaps? If your new child shares a birthday with the most famous baby in the world, you may be tempted to incorporate the season somehow into their name. There’s a lot more to holiday baby naming than Nicholas and Noel. Here are a few ideas that might help broaden the list:
Names related to the Holy Family and the birth of Jesus:
Eve– For the night before
Names connoting light: