Tobias is one of a number of s-ending boys' names that are riding a wave of popularity. It's already above the midpoint of the Social Security list and poised to rise.
With its Old Testament-Dickensian feel, it's a name with a distinguished pedigree -- Tobias Smollett, for instance, was a major eighteenth century Scottish novelist -- that also has a modern feel. A contemporary bearer is Tobias Wolff, author of A Boy's Life. Tobias Snape, meanwhile, is a Harry Potter character.
Tobias is the name of several biblical figures, but is primarily associated with the story of Tobias and the Angel.
The short form Toby has a life of its own, used independently at least as far back as Shakespeare's time, with Sir Toby Belch in Twelfth Night. Toby also was the name of a character on The West Wing. Actor Tobey Maguire was born Tobias and named his son Otis Tobias.
There is also the rarely used but still viable daddy of them all, Tobiah, the name of a rebel Hebrew king.
Lists containing Tobias:
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- Three-Syllable Baby Names
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- If You Like Nicholas, You Might Love...
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- TV Character Names
- If You Like Alexander, You Might Love...
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Boy Baby Names That End in S
- Saints' Names For Boys