Eva is a simple, classic name, but be warned: There are suddenly a lot of little girls named Eva (and Ava and Eve) around, perhaps inspired by Eva Longoria--Eva has been a Top 100 name since 2009. Pronunciation can be ee-va, eh-va, or ay-va.
The 1852 publication of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the bestselling novel of the nineteenth century, whose tragic figure Little Eva (short for Evangeline) made an enormous impression on the Victorian reading public, propelled the name to popularity.
Some well known Evas include actresses Evas Marie Saint, Gabor, Green, Longoria and Mendes, sculptor Eva Hesse, singer Little Eva, and model Eva Herzigova
The diminutive Evita is still strongly associated with Evita Peron, wife of the Argentine President Juan Peron. Eva is the 7th most popular girl name in the Netherlands.
Lists containing Eva:
- If You Like Georgia, You Might Love...
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- British Girl Names
- Vowel Baby Names for Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- If You Like Emma, You Might Love...
- If You Like Eva, You Might Love...
- Hollywood Glamour Girl Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Celebrity-Inspired Baby Names
- Short Baby Names