Asher -- an excellent, soft and sensitive Old Testament choice -- is definitely on the rise, climbing almost one hundred places in the last five years, and a nameberry biblical favorite. Asher's ascent is especially amazing given that it took a hundred-year hiatus from the Top 1000, from the 1890s until reappearing in the 1990s. And now Asher is close to breaking into the Top 100.
In the Bible, Asher was one of Jacob's twelve sons who gave their names to the tribes of Israel.
Asher has been chosen for their sons by TV newswoman Campbell Brown and actress Embeth Davidtz. Its image was somewhat rejuvenated by an appearance as a character on "Gossip Girl," and the rapper Asher Roth.
The novel My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok is the story of a New York Hasidic Jewish boy with artistic aspirations.
Oh--and another plus for Asher: the handsome diminutive Ash.
Lists containing Asher:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Baby Names That Mean Happy
- If You Like Ethan, You Might Love...
- If You Like Parker, You Might Love...
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Coolator for Boys' Names
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- If You Like Aaron, You Might Love...
- Boy Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- A+ Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys