Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Willa vs. Nessa

Talking Willa vs. Nessa

I found yet another name that I'm considering for this character Oops?

Nessa/Willa Marchand is 19 years old, born in New York but currently living in London, England with older brother (Crispin) & attending university as an art major; brown hair & green eyes; tall (5'8, 5'9) and fit but not skinny/thin; slightly awkward socially/clumsy physically; not a huge people person. She mostly keeps to herself/doesn't pry into others' lives, except for her brother's; is very nosey about Crispin's personal affairs/love life. Normally a pretty nice girl (sweet), but will resort to anything within reason to make sure her brother's happy (spunky/determined). She can't cook to save her life. (She can bake, though the kitchen may catch on fire)

Pros & Cons of Nessa: Pros: It's weird like Crispin, but makes her seem a little bit untouchable due to the Loch Ness Monster connection, which is good. Short for Nerissa. Cons: Too weird?

Pros & Cons of Willa: Pros: Sounds nice when said aloud. Cons: It seems incomplete, & not as weird as I'd like it. Also, may be getting a little too popular.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by heimarmene; January 27th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

I love the name Nessa, I think it's very cute!

I like Willa a lot! While Nessa does have some of the qualities you like, I think Willa just seems to completely suit the character you described, and Willa in itself feels a bit untouchable. I think Willa and Crispin are perfect together--I don't really think of Crispin as weird... more of a quirky, timeless classic. It's never been used enough to be dated to any time period, but I don't see it as weird at all. Nessa and Crispin seem much more mismatched than Willa and Crispin to me.

That, and I'm biased here, but I wrote a story with a Nessa in it--she was from Scotland, a bit of a rebel and a wild-child, a troublemaker. Not a very appealing character and everyone would have instantly sided with her brother, who was trying to help her, instead of her. So I just don't see the appeal behind a character named Nessa as opposed to Willa, haha. I don't think Willa would have been that popular when your character was born, either, so I don't think its popularity is a problem.

Good luck!
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

the little ladies:

Adelaide Isla Jane "Daisy"Eva Magnolia JaneEleanor Lila GraceViolet Aveline Georgina
    Isla MarigoldClaire AntoninaAmélie PoetLydia EleanorEliza Coralie

the little gentlemen:

Grayson Ephraim JackLeo Somerled JamesBoaz Andreas Henry "Bo"Grant Frédéric Conrad
    Amias JackJack ThéophileAvery NathanielCaleb AndreasMathis Henry

I'm writing a story--join me! here

Hey, what do you guys think of Nilla? It's part Willa, part Nessa, an actual name () even though it kinda looks like it's a kr8ive spelling, and is quirky like Crispin. It's probably pronounced Nil-AH, but I said it in my head the first time as NEEL-ah. WDYT?

Nilla sounds too much like Vanilla to me. Like Nilla Wafers? I loved those cookies growing up, haha, but maybe not the best name for a character. What about Milla (mil-ah) or Mila (mee-lah)? If you like Mila, you could even do Camila, Emilia, or Milena with the nn Mila...
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

the little ladies:

Adelaide Isla Jane "Daisy"Eva Magnolia JaneEleanor Lila GraceViolet Aveline Georgina
    Isla MarigoldClaire AntoninaAmélie PoetLydia EleanorEliza Coralie

the little gentlemen:

Grayson Ephraim JackLeo Somerled JamesBoaz Andreas Henry "Bo"Grant Frédéric Conrad
    Amias JackJack ThéophileAvery NathanielCaleb AndreasMathis Henry

I'm writing a story--join me! here