Menu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Two girls with no names

I second Jill's post - your children's names are lovely! Everett is a favourite of mine, and Maggie is so underused these days.

Penelope - fits beautifully with Everett and Margaret, and so gorgeous. Penny/Poppy and Maggie go well, too.
    Grace - lovely, but if popularity is an issue then steer clear of this one, sadly.
    Audrey - getting very popular, sadly, but very pretty and fits the style of your children's names.
    Beatrix - also goes well, although personally I think Beatrice might be better (Beatrix strikes me as making the sib set too harsh-sounding).
    Anna - a classic, but noticeably shorter than Margaret. How about Annabel?
    Seraphina - I didn't even think of the Hollywood association (actually, I didn't know about it), but I think it is a little more flamboyant than Everett and Margaret, and for that reason I wouldn't choose it.

Catherine - I was actually about to suggest this! I think the style fits with your children's names, and Maggie and Kitty would make adorable sisters.
    Emmeline - It seems too similar to your other childrens' names, although I might be over thinking things (it has the Es of Everett and the double letter, the M of Margaret ...)
    Violet - I adore.
    Mariam - I adore this and it is so underused! Too close to Margaret to use as a fn, though.
    Stewart - the closest girl's name I can think of is Stella.
    Elizabeth - such a classic.
    Jules - I love this as a nn for Julia/Juliet/Juliana etc.

Combinations using the names you have given :
    Penelope Violet
    Penelope Audrey
    Penelope Julia
    Penelope Catherine

Audrey Juliana
    Audrey Violet
    Audrey Mariam
    Audrey Seraphina

Annabel Mariam
    Annabel Violet

Violet Emmeline
    Violet Mariam
    Violet Penelope

Emmeline Beatrix

Juliet Beatrix
    Juliet Audrey.

A couple of names you may like :
    Evadne - the nn Evie is very popular, but the name itself isn't, so I think that's okay. You could always opt for Addie, or Nini, I suppose. (Personally, I really like unusual names with more common nns, as the child can use the nn if embarassed by the full name. Not that I think anyone could be embarassed by the beautiful Evadne!)
    Phoebe - this may be too popular, I'm not sure where it stands at the moment
    Ondine
    Daphne
    Amandine
    Verity - less popular than Grace.
    Seren (sare-en, I think ...) - a Welsh name, similar to Seraphina but less flamboyant
    Persephone - similar to both Penelope and Seraphina.

Good luck!

I agree. Especially love Phoebe, Juliet, and Penelope!

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

I actually agree that Beatrice rather than Beatrix might have a better flow with our other children. I'm really leaning towards this name, but am not sure if it fits well with Margaret? I really like Bea as a nickname.

I really like Eliza instead of Elizabeth, but if we pick Beatrice I'm afraid we'd have to have a comparable name in length. Do you think that too?

Penelope is a name my husband really adores. I like it too and like the nickname Nell, maybe Poppy. Which do you prefer with Maggie?

Annabel is great, but I have so many girlfriends that have little Annabels. Anna is out now.

Grace and Audrey are too popular for us I believe. Emmeline is lovely, but I also don't like the saturation of Emma, Emme... etc.

I really like Stewart from our family names, but that is only because I know her. How does it sound objectively?

Catherine is so unoriginal to me, but I really like the suggestion of Kitty.

How do these sound?

Everett, Maggie,

Beatrice and Penelope (Nell)

Beatrice and Eliza

Penelope (Nell) and Eliza

Catherine (Kitty) and Beatrice

Stewart and Eliza

Beatrice and Stewart

Violet is really a favourite of mine, but I think I prefer it as a middle name.

I am pretty sure that Beatrice will be one of the girls' names. Any others you talented namers can come up with?

Thank you again for your help. It is really helping me. By the way, our last name is Hawk - it's kind of harsh for girls so you can see why I like the softer (and longer)names.

I think that Beatrice and Margaret go perfectly together. Both are classic, royal names (Princess Margaret and Princess Beatrice).

Beatrice and Eliza are both three syllables, and I think that they're great together. (I love Elizabeth, too, and if you use Elizabeth, you'll have three princesses--well, Elizabeth is now a queen.) Note: I just saw that your last name is Hawk, and when I say Elizabeth Hawk out loud, the th from Elizabeth attaches to Hawk and I hear Thawk as your last name. (It may just be me, though!) :-)

With Margaret/Maggie, I really love the Poppy nickname from Penelope, but I love Nell, too. (If you go with Beatrice and Penelope, I love Bea and Poppy, but think Bea and Nell is darling, too.) You can always see which nickname fits when she's born.

With Stewart, I love it on a boy, but not a girl, although I think it could be a nice middle name.

Everett, Maggie,

Beatrice and Penelope (Nell): I love this!

Beatrice and Eliza: I love this, too!

Penelope (Nell) and Eliza: I love this, but love Beatrice and Eliza together more than Penelope and Eliza.

Catherine (Kitty) and Beatrice: I think this is lovely, too, and think Kitty and Bea are darling together! I love Catherine, Beatrice, and Margaret, but feel like Everett's less traditional style isn't represented here. With Everett in the mix, I think you need something like Penelope or Eliza in the mix.

Stewart and Eliza: If you're talking about two girls here, I'd avoid Stewart, because I'd definitely mistake this set as boy-girl.

Beatrice and Stewart: Ditto.

I'm voting for one of your first three combos, but I think the first one is in the lead for me, because I love how Penelope works with Everett and Margaret, and I love how each child will have his/her own first initial.

I really love your list! :-)

Best wishes to you!

I'm glad you like Beatrice - I think it goes brilliantly with Margaret, as both are long and classic, and as Jill said, both are princesses! Bea is such an adorable nn as well, but would age well too.

While Eliza is shorter than Beatrice written down, they are actually similar said aloud and in the same sort of style, so I think you could use them together if you really dislike Elizabeth.

Penelope is so pretty! Poppy and Maggie are lovely together, as are Nell and Maggie, which both have that vintage feel. I don't think you can go wrong either way, really.

Oh, Stewart is for a girl! I'm sorry, I assumed it was for a boy because it is a male name in my family ... I do think, though, that it is too masculine compared with Margaret and the other girls' names you seem to lean towards. Perhaps use it as a mn, especially as you know her - I'm sure she'd be very flattered.

I see what you mean about Catherine, and while I like Kitty, I don't think you should use it if you don't love the full name, too (because she may decide she hates Kitty and wants to be called Catherine).

Everett, Maggie and :

Beatrice and Penelope (Nell) - I think this is just too perfect for words!
    Beatrice and Eliza - also lovely.
    Penelope (Nell) and Eliza - again, very pretty.
    Catherine (Kitty) and Beatrice - not if you don't love Catherine.
    Stewart and Eliza - I think Stewart is too masculine with your other girls' names.
    Beatrice and Stewart - as above.

Some pairings I think work well :
    Beatrice Stewart Hawk and Penelope Violet Hawk (I think Beatrice and Stewart run together, though)
    Beatrice Violet Hawk and Penelope Stewart Hawk (my favourite, I think)
    Beatrice Violet Hawk and Eliza Stewart Hawk (best for Beatrice and Eliza, in my opinion)
    Catherine Eliza Hawk and Beatrice Violet Hawk
    Catherine Stewart Hawk and Beatrice Violet Hawk

I would say Beatrice Eliza, but I feel like they run together ...

Other suggestions :
    Dorothea nn Dotty/Thea
    Helena can give the nn Nell too, although I prefer Penelope

A few royal names, seeing as you seem to like that style :
    Victoria
    Louisa
    Adelaide
    Eugenie/Eugenia (not if you use Beatrice)
    Charlotte
    Alexandra.

Good luck!

My vote goes to Everett, Maggie, Beatrice (Bea), and Penelope, (either Poppy or Nell!) I agree with Jill that both are lovely but you can always see which fits when she's born.

PS: I love your kids' names!! Good luck and keep us posted--we can't wait to hear about the newest wonderful additions to your family. :)

- Love Beatrice nn Bea with Margaret!

I really like Eliza instead of Elizabeth, but if we pick Beatrice I'm afraid we'd have to have a comparable name in length. Do you think that too? - Yes.

Penelope is a name my husband really adores. I like it too and like the nickname Nell, maybe Poppy. Which do you prefer with Maggie? - Maggie and Nell, Maggie and Poppy. Either one is really cute!

Grace and Audrey are too popular for us I believe. Emmeline is lovely, but I also don't like the saturation of Emma, Emme... etc. - Yeah, too popular.

I really like Stewart from our family names, but that is only because I know her. How does it sound objectively?

Catherine is so unoriginal to me, but I really like the suggestion of Kitty. - Love Kitty!

How do these sound?

Everett, Maggie,

Beatrice and Penelope (Nell) - Great!

Beatrice and Eliza - I love Beatrice and Penelope more.

Penelope (Nell) and Eliza - Penelope is vibrant and bouncy, Eliza is more hushed and lovely.

Catherine (Kitty) and Beatrice - Beatrice is so lustrous and vintage while Catherine is more quiet and elegant.

Stewart and Eliza - no. The names are really different in style. Stewart seems so unisex.

Beatrice and Stewart - ditto

Catherine and Eliza make a great pair, but then you lose Beatrice. I just love Beatrice and Penelope!

Violet is really a favourite of mine, but I think I prefer it as a middle name.

I am pretty sure that Beatrice will be one of the girls' names. Any others you talented namers can come up with?

Beatrice and Aurora nn Rory
    Beatrice and Cecilia nn Celia, Celie, Cessie
    Beatrice and Celestine/Celestina nn Cessie
    Beatrice and Cordelia nn Corrie, Cora, Delia, Dilly
    Beatrice and Flora - my aunts' names
    Beatrice and Francesca nn Franny or Francie
    Beatrice and Genevieve nn Evie, Vivi, Ginny - love it!
    Beatrice and Georgiana nn Georgie
    Beatrice and Helena nn Lena
    Beatrice and Isadora nn Izzie, Dora
    Beatrice and Leonora nn Nora
    Beatrice and Louisa nn Lulu
    Beatrice and Marianna nn Molly, Polly, Mamie
    Beatrice and Matilda nn Tillie, Tilda
    Beatrice and Millicent nn Millie
    Beatrice and Mirabella nn Miri, Mira
    Beatrice and Ottilie nn Tillie
    Beatrice and Paloma nn Lola
    Beatrice and Rosamond nn Rose, Rosie
    Beatrice and Veronica nn Vera
    Beatrice and Virginia nn Ginger, Ginny
    Beatrice and Vivian nn Vivi
    Beatrice and Winifred nn Winnie
    I'm pretty sure I made a bunch of these suggestions to you before, but I can't recall what that list was.

After a very long talk with my husband using index cards and nameberry, we've decided on the following for our girls:

Catherine Eliza - nicknamed Kitty
    Beatrice Violet - nicknamed Bea

My husband loved Beatrice and for the other choices he either really wanted Catherine or Penelope. We decided on Catherine because it's honoring family and he didn't care for any of the Penelope nicknames. When I first mentioned Kitty as a nickname for Catherine a few days ago, he first said, "What, like a cat? No way!", but it grew on him as has the name Catherine for me.

For the middle names, we both loved Violet and think Beatrice Violet is sensational - she wasn't all that hard to name. Elizabeth is a family name that he wanted to use, but I couldn't bring myself to name her two "filler" names, as most people refer to on this site. So, in honor of Elizabeth we went with the sassy Eliza instead.

Thank you again for all of your help! We are very satisfied with our Everett, Maggie, Bea and Kitty - and frankly I think we'll have the best named kids on the block. :)

Take care!

Re: Two girls with no names - DECISION made - see pg. 2

Congratulations!!! Your new choices and all your children's names are so beautiful. The very best of luck!

Re: Two girls with no names - DECISION made - see pg. 2

ADORABLE!