Menu

appreciate your thoughts ...

Hi - I love this site!

I was wondering your opinion on Madelaine nn Maddie or Lainey vs. Madeleine (mad-a-line? or mad-a-leen? ... I'm worried about mis-pronunciation her whole life). I do not like Madelyn as well.

Also, I really like Amara ... again though I am worried about pronunciation ... some people say "a - MAR - ah" and some say "a-MAIR-ah" ... thoughts?

Thanks much!!

Re: appreciate your thoughts ...

I love Madelaine! It's a sweet twist on an equally sweet name...it's unique without sounding made-up. :) Maddie and Lainey are cute nicknames...personally, I would go with Lainey. It's less common than Maddie and it showcases "Made*laine*", which wouldn't go so well with Madeleine (Leiney or Liney just doesn't sound the same...).

However, I do like Madeleine also, however you opt to pronounce it.

I've always liked Amara (Uh-MAR-Uh, in my reckoning), as well. I have a good association with that one! :)

I think Madelaine/Madeleine/Madeline is a pretty name, although it's very popular at the moment.

It's a tricky name when it comes to pronunciation, though.

Madelaine is lovely, and I like the laine twist.

The French Madeleine, as far as I've always known, is actually pronounced mad-uh-lynn, while Madeline is actually mad-uh-line (rhymes with wine). In the U.S., though, most people have it reversed, which makes it confusing.

I have a friend with a Madeline (pronounced Mad-uh-line--rhymes with wine), and she hates it how people mispronounce her little girl's name. She named her baby after Madeline, the children's book, which is pronounced mad-uh-line.

If you're going to call her Maddie, though, I don't think Madeleine's pronunciation is as important as it would be if you were going to address her by her full name.

All of the variations (aside from Madelyn, I agree) are lovely! :-)

Amara's not my style but I do see its appeal. I pronounce it as you do, Ah-MAR-uh.

Welcome to Nameberry! :-)

Actually, Jill, the French pronounce it more along the lines of madda-LANN. Perhaps this is why the Madeline books drive me nuts-- the rhyme is all off! :o (Madeleine is also, incidentally, a rather tasty cookie.)

I suppose I was trying to get across the whole "Madeleine isn't pronounced mad-uh-LINE" thing. My best friend (who is French) pronounces it Mad-LEHN, as does her family, and non-French speakers have turned it into Mada-lynn. In the Madeline movie (and logically, the books), her name was pronounced Mad-uh-LINE, to rhyme with vine.

The bottom line, is that pronunciations of both Madeline and Madeline are all over the map, so one needs to be aware of this when using either name!