Menu

Thread: Nellie or Nell?

Nellie or Nell?

I'm due any day now and still undecided on whether to name my baby girl Nellie with the nn Nell, or name her Nell with the nn Nellie. What do you think? Also, I'm struggling with middle names... I would like something a bit more substantial in the middle with maybe a bit of a naturey feel. Also, I know it's not very substantial/classic, but I'm debating naming her Nell October or Nellie October, as this is our anniversary month. Is this weird/mean to do to a kid?

Lastly, I'm wondering what my daughter's siblings names could be (although I think it'll be a while before she has any siblings)

Your thoughts would be great!

Re: Nellie or Nell?

Congratulations!

I prefer Nell with the nn Nellie, because Nellie has a much more nickname feel to it. There are also some great classic names with the nicknames Nell and Nellie if you want something more substantial as a first and then could always call her Nell or Nellie. I love longer classic names that have an adorable nickname, and then your daughter can always use her longer name if she needs to be professional.

Helena
    Eleanor
    Penelope

Nell October is very sweet, and its nice that you are looking for something with sentimental significance to give her as a middle. Do you have any mothers, grandmothers, (or even grandfathers) that either of you would like to honor? If you list all the relatives that you care about (even ones with names you don't like, sometimes there are variations that are cool) the ladies on nameberry will come up with great combos.

If you decide to go with Nell or Nellie as a first, there are tons of sibling names that you can go with. Nickname vintage names for girls are becoming popular, and there are some great lists on hot lists. Here are some examples.

Girls

Ada
    Mae
    Maisie
    Mamie
    Elsie
    Elsa
    Vera
    Olive
    Pearl
    Daisy
    Edie (with long name Edith if you want)
    Ellie
    Millie
    Ruby
    Clover
    Matilda nn Tillie or Mattie
    Georgina or Georgiana or Georgia nn Georgie
    Iris
    Isla
    Poppy
    Nessa
    Tessie
    Cleo
    Eve (nn Evie)
    Willa

Boys
    Otto
    Leo
    Thomas nn Tom
    Alphie
    Archie
    Felix
    Finn
    Hugo
    Hugh
    George
    Oscar
    Charlie
    Frederick nn Freddy
    Peter nn Petie
    Edward nn Eddie
    Samuel nn Sammy or Sam
    Harry
    Dashiell nn Dash
    Peter nn Petie
    Rufus
    Theodore nn Teddy or Theo

If you decide to go with a longer name with Nell or Nellie as nicknames, all of the names on the above list have wonderful long names as well that you could give a sibling and then use the NN :)

Keep us posted as to what you're thinking! :)

I think that I would go with Nell nn Nellie. Very cute! It's great that you are looking for a middle name with meaning for you guys. Sure, October is different but lot of people complain about having "filler" middle names. Congrads & Good luck!!

I also prefer Nell (nn Nellie) as Nellie is the nickname of Nell. If you're worried about October, what about Opal, which is October's birthstone?

Eleanor Opal or Penelope Opal would be darling!

Other middle names that work with Nell:

Nell Autumn (for October and nature)
    Nell Beatrice
    Nell Frances
    Nell Josephine
    Nell Katherine
    Nell Margaret
    Nell Rosalie
    Nell Rebecca
    Nell Violet
    Nell Vivienne

Siblings for Nell:

Amelia
    Beatrice
    Blythe
    Celia
    Clementine
    Charlotte
    Emmeline
    Eva
    Eliza
    Frances
    Genevieve
    Georgia
    Jane
    Kate
    Katherine
    Louisa
    Lucy
    Mabel
    Nora
    Olive
    Phoebe
    Rose
    Tess
    Violet

Best wishes to you!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nell October! I honestly think it is super cute.

I absolutely adore October as a middle name! It's a name I've always planned to use.

As for Nell and Nellie, I think it would be best to name her Nell, just so when she is older she has a more formal name to use in situations where Nellie is too informal, or "cute". And I think Nell October sounds beautiful. [: