Menu

lola Guest

Girly name as a surname... for a boy?

I've got an odd question , thought I'd put it here instead of the boys section as this one's seen a bit more. I have Scottish ancestry, and there are a few Scottish surnames in the family that I'd consider using: Cameron, Gordon & Rose. Now, for me, Rose is alright on a girl but what I wast to know is this: How weird would it be in the middle for a boy? I mean second middle, not first. Maxfield Harvey Rose is what he came up with last night and while I really like it, wonder if something like this is going a bit too far.

What do you think, doable or not? Am I insane for even thinking it is? or is it really as charming a pairing as I think it is?

If it is, what do you think of our other choices:
    Maxfield Jasper Milo/Maxfield Milo Jasper
    Maxfield August John
    Maxfield Wilder John
    Maxfield Rowan John
    Maxfield Taliesin John (would encompass two favored "artists" for us).

And, as always, Thanks!

Re: Girly name as a surname... for a boy?

While Cameron and Gordon would definitely work, Rose definitely would not. In addition to being the most popular girls' middle name, it's also perhaps the most feminine name known to man. Even if Rose were the baby's 5th, 6th, or even 7th middle name, it's still a feminine name, a girls' name, and the name of a flower. Definitely not for a little boy!

And no, you're not insane for considering it; you're just trying to come up with the perfect name for your baby. On the bright side, Simon's middle name is Ambrose, so you've found a way to use the name in an indirect (and masculine) way!

Maxfield is incredilble, though, it is wonderful that you're considering it. Maxfield is so handsome, sophisticated, unique, stylish, and wordly.

Maxfield Jasper Milo/Maxfield Milo Jasper: Awesome! Maxfield Jasper Miles is great, too!

Maxfield August John; INCREDIBLE !

Maxfield Wilder John: EVEN MORE INCREDIBLE!

Maxfield Rowan John: Lovely, but it didn't excite me enough to type in all capitals. :-)

Maxfield Taliesin John: Very, very cool. (I've been to his home, Taliesin West, in Arizona, by the way.)

These Maxfield names are incredible, and I'm rooting for Maxfield Wilder John and Maxfield August John.

Other ideas:

Maxfield Jasper Miles
    Maxfield Jasper Clyde
    Maxfield Jasper August
    Maxfield Jasper Tate
    Maxfield Jasper Conrad
    Maxfield Harvey Miles
    Maxfield Harvey August
    Maxfield Harvey Clyde
    Maxfield Harvey Tate
    Maxfield Harvey Grey
    Maxfield Harvey Rufus
    Maxfield Harvey Conrad
    Maxfield Harvey Clifton
    Maxfield Harvey Clifford
    Maxfield Harvey Clarence
    Maxfield Rufus Miles
    Maxfield Rufus John
    Maxfield Rufus Clyde
    Maxfield Conrad James
    Maxfield Everett John
    Maxfield Rupert John
    Maxfield Clifton John

What are you leaning towards?

lola Guest

Too funny Maxfield Hamish John! the Mr.'s middles are James John! I'm really like Maxfield August John just because I've been trying to fit August in somewhere for my Mom, it's either that or Francis for a Frances, but she hated her name very much. Had to spell it for everyone and she absolutely loathed that. *sigh* Somehow I think she'd think August on a boy, for her would be aces, she was the sort that turned things around, looked for similarities and decided on non-direct honoring for her kids. August would make my Mom laugh.

Wilder John is staying with Rufus, I like that combo far too much, they are perfect with my lovely Rufus!

I really like Maxfield Taliesin John, I've been there too, one of my Uncles (the nutty one, Skip) lives nearby and I visit a handful of times every time I'm out that way. A plus for me would be his initials: MTM, we could call him Mountain! :D

I do like Clyde but can't get him past him. It's too "Every Which Way but Loose orangutan" to him. :) Conrad's neat! I'll have to run that one past him, see wha he thinks. Might be too "Weeds' for him. :D

I'll swipe Maxfield Alasdair John as well (we only like that spelling) and mixing it up a bit, Maxfield August Sinclair too. Sinclair is a really old family surname on my side that I hadn't even thought of using until now, sounded too girly to me. But I really dig him right here!

Thanks Jill, you're amazing!

That's right! I'd forgotten about Alasdair for you, and I actually do prefer that spelling. I once babysat for a Scottish family who had Elinor, Alasdair, Phoebe, and Genevra. I'm glad I could help, and I think Sinclair is awesome!

Anyway, August Sinclair and Alasdair James are awesome, and I love Sinclair with Maxfield. Love it. How great that it's a family name for you, while fulfilling his ancestry, too.

I only thought of Hamish, because it's my friend's brother's name.

I've always thought Conrad was a cool name, first hearing it when I was a little girl. And speaking of Weeds, what about Silas as one of the combo names? Maxfield Harvey Silas sounds quirky yet classy.

It's a lot of fun giving you feedback, and although at times I've waved a red flag in terms of "Holy #$^@ !, the child will get teased," I've never meant any harm. :-) And even if I'm giving a "thumbs down," if you could hear me speak, you'd hear a very kind, gentle voice.

Do you have any more girls' combos to share?

Anyway, I'm just loving Maxfield so much, especially with a "Mac" last name. It's just stunning, and gives the green light to funkier, more obscure middle names.

lola Guest

I know, Jill and I've never taken offense, really. I'm rather a pro at name teasing though. My kids are more likely to get teased for being tall, skinny and klutzy than for their names but I see what you mean. I'm lucky though, with kids in the neighborhood being Byron, Lazarus, Cormac and Conor, for boys and Laura ( yeah, there'a 15 year old Laura right across the street, she's Conor's big sister!), Georgiana and Vivien down the street, I can get away with a bit more than most can. My neighborhood's a treat for names! I've been slowly learning everyone's name as Josie & I take our evening walks now that the weather is a bit nicer. Can't wait to see who's down the cul-de-sac! :D

I have a few more girls I may toss out soon. For a taste: Elspeth, Henrietta & Laetitia. I just found out my Grandpop had three sisters: Elisabeth/Elsie, Laetitia/Lettie & Elvira/Vera. I'm sort of stuck on guys right now, but the girls are getting out of hand, number-wise again, so look for them soon!

I love the names Maxfield (because of Maxfield Parrish), Rufus, Conrad (wrote a little short story about Conrad once), Rupert, Harvey, August, and Jasper. Love John, James, Miles, and Grey for middles. Super love Taliesin. Want to go there so badly. I don't think I've ever been to Wisconsin although I have been to most of our fifty states, even West Virginia and Maine which for a Californian is a bit unusual.
    My cousin who has Down's Syndrome is named John Maxwell Farson. I think his name is gorgeous.
    Okay, I will make up some names for you just for fun:
    Maxfield Grey Rupert
    Jove Taliesin Gregorio
    Rufus Levushka George - Have you ever heard of Levushka? Amazing! like the "ush" with the "Ruf" in Rufus. Levushka is a form of Lev.
    Ferdinand Jasper James
    Humbert August John or could be Humbert Humbert August John - I have a fun story about Humbert Humbert.
    Harvey August Junipero - Father Junipero Serra started many of the missions in Early California.
    Maxfield Wellington Finch - this certainly sounds like a snobby little bird with a puffed-out chest! Very dapper.

[quote="susan"]I love the names Maxfield (because of Maxfield Parrish), Rufus, Conrad (wrote a little short story about Conrad once), Rupert, Harvey, August, and Jasper. Love John, James, Miles, and Grey for middles. Super love Taliesin. Want to go there so badly. I don't think I've ever been to Wisconsin although I have been to most of our fifty states, even West Virginia and Maine which for a Californian is a bit unusual.
    My cousin who has Down's Syndrome is named John Maxwell Farson. I think his name is gorgeous.
    Okay, I will make up some names for you just for fun:
    Maxfield Grey Rupert
    Jove Taliesin Gregorio
    Rufus Levushka George - Have you ever heard of Levushka? Amazing! like the "ush" with the "Ruf" in Rufus. Levushka is a form of Lev.
    Ferdinand Jasper James
    Humbert August John or could be Humbert Humbert August John - I have a fun story about Humbert Humbert.
    Harvey August Junipero - Father Junipero Serra started many of the missions in Early California.
    Maxfield Wellington Finch - this certainly sounds like a snobby little bird with a puffed-out chest! Very dapper.

I agree with Jill. No on Rose for a boy's name, even in the middle. But I love the Nature name Jasper.