Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lola Guest

Help me decide - Opinions, please

I have three names for each (boy & girl) and can't decide which one I like best of them, can you help?

They are: Barnaby, Rufus & Cosmo, for boys.
    And Jemima, Zelda & Winifred for girls.

Would you be so kind as to review these for me?

Re: Help me decide - Opinions, please

Quote Originally Posted by lola
    I have three names for each (boy & girl) and can't decide which one I like best of them, can you help?

They are: Barnaby, Rufus & Cosmo, for boys.
    And Jemima, Zelda & Winifred for girls.

Would you be so kind as to review these for me?
    Barnaby-I like the name Barnaby, but am not as fond of the nn Barney, however, Barn sounds quite nice and rugged
    Rufus-I know a Rufus and am afraid this has clouded my judgment here :)
    Cosmo-first thing I think of is Seinfeld's Cosmo Kramer

I prefer Barnaby for a boy.

For girls,
    Jemima-though I think of the Aunt Jemima of syrup, this isn't a negative connotation for me. I also really like the nn Jemma. Cute for a child and also sounds nice for an adult.
    Zelda-Can't get past the Sega game from my childhood, but this is probably only true for a small sampling of people.
    Winifred-has a nice ring to it. The nn Winnie, however, I'm not as fond of as Jemma.

I would choose Jemima for a girl. You have some nice, solid names here! Good luck.

Lola, you had me converted to Cosmo and now you're making me rethink it?! I'm sticking with it-- flows better with the other kids' names. Don't get me wrong, I like Barnaby and Rufus. If you went with Barnaby, would you plan on calling him Barney?

For the girls, I'd bypass Jemima just because Josephine & Jemima is a mouthful. I like Winifred (nn Win? Very cool...) but of the three, Zelda just steals my heart. What a fun, cool flapper girl she must be!

I like Cosmo and I loooooooooove Zelda!

lola Guest

Aww,, Cosmo's still a possibility, It's just that He prefers these 3 a bit more and since he really got no say with the older boys, I thought I'd be nice, since I can. He's giving me freer reign with a girl than he did last time in exchange.

But thanks, and yes, Barnaby would be Barney, at least occasionally. Maybe Barnes, or since his combo's Barnaby Edward Rex, maybe Bex once in a while too.

I don't find Josephine & Jemima much of a mouthful at all, but I will conceed that there are folks who probably would. And they'd be Josie & Mimi more often than not anyway. I could see Josie & Jemma getting confused occasionally!

Winfred would be Winnie (like in "the Wonder Years") or maybe Freda once in awhile, i was thinking.

Hi, Lola! Love your names. Okay, I have been thinking about what sounds you love. For example, I've noticed that you love the long "o" sound-Lola, Leo, Josephine. You also love the "n" sound-Simon, Simeon, and Josephine and "s"-Simon, Simeon, Josephine. Another thing you like is lots of interesting vowel sounds in the name like Josephine has two long vowel sounds plus a short vowel sound. Leo is short, but is two syllables and has two long vowel sounds. Long vowel sounds give a name a lot of kick. With that in mind:

Barnaby (I would think this would work really well for you. Three syllables like Josephine and Simeon and interesting vowel sounds. has that "n" and an "s'.)
    Rufus (This name is a lot like Leo because it isn't very long, has two syllables and interesting vowels. No "n" sound but I love that "f" and it does have an "s".
    Cosmo-(has the "s", interesting vowel sounds and the long "o". Reminds me of Leo. Great brother name for the other three siblings.)
    Jemima (I love this, it has varied vowel sounds, but it does start with "J" like Josephine.)
    Zelda ( this has an "l" like Lola and Leo-nice- and sounds magical and Bohemian.)
    Winnifred (is a great name, but I think I like Jemima and Zelda more. Of course the nickname Winnie is amazing. But I don't think enough vowel action is going on in Winnifred and Winnie.)
    So the winners for the day, maybe for the half-minute are:
    Cosmo (I just realized that Cosmo has a soft "z" sound in it like Josephine and Zelda have!) and Zelda (the "Z" in Zelda gives it so much pizzazz that it's okay that the "e" is a short vowel.)

lola Guest

My goodness, Susan! You really dug in, didn't you? I've never thought about why certain things appeal to me, but I think you figured it out for me! I do love L, S & N sounds and long vowels as well.
    Cosmo & Zelda are definitely in the top 3 or 4 right now and are very likely going to be used. He's rooting for Rufus, I've got Cosmo, I suppose we'll see which when we see the kid!

Susan is a wonder, isn't she? While I'm quite confident voicing my opinion on people's choices (!), I can never come up with lists the way she can.

I know I am obsessed with sounds and letters. It's how I go to sleep at night. I love to write poetry, too. I love the sound "r" in a first name combined with my own last name. My last name is Chesney-very sweet and soft and so it needs some punch for the first name. That's why my kids are Peter and Laura. I think my name sounds nice with Chesney, too, although it doesn't have an "r". But I do think you can predict whether you will like a name over the years by thinking of what sounds you like in your existing family members' names.

lola Guest

You are fantastic, Susan! Thanks a million for opening my eyes! Now I can look at my list a bit more objectively!