Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Branding Your Baby?

For a story in Advertising Age magazine about branding and baby names, how conscious are you of the concept of "branding" when choosing a name for your child? Do you think a baby's name establishes an identity in the same way a company or product name does? And if so, what kind of "brand" do you want for your child?? The reporter would love to use your thoughts and quotes in the piece, so let it rip!!
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

Re: Branding Your Baby?

One of my favorite stores is a one-of-a-kind bookstore in Pasadena, CA called Vroman's. It is the antithesis of say, Borders. Quirky, expensive, with books you can't always find in the box stores. The children's section has rows and rows of shelves like a library with all kinds of wonderful children's books. That store represents the kinds of baby names I like-not too common, literary, rich, warm, long-lasting, a very long shelf life like an ummm...book, maybe even a hardcover book. The store is much bigger than Kathleen Kelly's Shop Around the Corner in the movie "You've Got Mail". But it has the same personality except it is for adults, too.

Hmmmm, really interesting. So what names do you think carry that image? When you've met people with those names, does having that image in your mind affect your feelings about them? Do they live up to the image??
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

For me, some names have an unshakable image. Like Arabella. I see it as an ultra-feminine, cries-at-bugs, has the hearts of all the boys type of girl. Ronald, on the other hand, is perennially Reagan. And George is stuck in the White House forever. Other names have a flexible image. Take Addison, for instance. It's an all-girl name to me, but I can see Addison playing with lace-dressed dolls, winning track meets, never wearing skirts, and loving pink. David, to me, can also be nearly any type of guy: the macho, the skinny, the smart, but always the good. Perry is flexible as a girl or boy's name. It's the only really androgynous name for me.
    Other names have an image because I know someone with that name. Paula is always the sweet blond woman with a gentle southern accent. Talor (no y) is always the sweet and fun preteen girl, and Elliot is always my blond and boyish son.
    A name I'd consider using is not about the image. It's about the sound, the meaning, the letters, and the spelling. But some names (Romeo, Puck, Arabella, Ophelia) have an image that no child can overcome.

So name with an image that's TOO decisive, like Arabella or Romeo, is not one you'd want to pin on a child, but a name with an image that's a little less decisive, that let's a child meet the image halfway, is okay? Preferable to a no-brand, generic packaging name like David?
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

The store I was talking about before that is in Pasadena-Vroman's-is a two-story store with incredibly high ceilings in a building that is as old as at least the '20's. It is in a section of town where all the buildings in the area are as old as it is and very gorgeous! It's called Old Town. So...
    Vroman's Names: (a sampling)
    boys-
    Archer (Archie)
    Clayton
    Clive
    Dashiell
    Edward
    Ezra
    Frank
    George
    Isaac
    Jack
    James
    John
    Magnus
    Oliver
    Patrick
    Philip
    Peter
    Quentin
    Raymond (such a Pasadena name because there is a street called Raymond and a very interesting old wonderful restaurant called Raymond.)
    Tobias
    Theodore
    Zane

girls-
    Anna
    Beatrice
    Beatrix
    Claire
    Cecily/Cecilia
    Catherine
    Eleanor
    Evelyn
    Frances
    Faith (good middle name)
    Iris
    Jane
    June
    Josephine
    Julia
    Katherine (I know it's been hugely popular, but I think it still works)
    Laurel
    Lila
    Millicent
    Mathilda
    Olive (Olivia is too popular)
    Penelope
    Pippa
    Paulina
    Paloma
    Rosalind
    Susannah
    Tatiana
    Veronica
    Vivian
    Years ago, names like Andrew, Matthew, Jacob, Sophia, Isabella, Rebecca etc. would have worked but now they are too popular.
    I also thought of a store that's more Vroman's than Vroman's. It is the tiny museum store in the carriage house next to the Gamble House which is a beautiful Arts and Crafts mansion that is open to the public for tours. When I thought of names to go with that store they went beyond Vroman's names: I thought of Mae, and then I thought of Richard and Kenneth and I thought maybe those names are going to come back in style in twenty years. Then I thought it would be fun to predict what names are going to get really hot in ten or twenty years, and maybe some of them would be names that remind me of that little store in the old carriage house.

Yes, I believe that you "brand" your baby with a name. I think that is why parents spend so much time perfecting their child's name. We worry about wether it's too popular or not popular enough and how it will fit with sibling's names, our friend's children's names, what the teachers will think.
    I think what we name our children is more of reflection on how we want to brand ourselves and how we want to see ourselves reflected in society. Children are the manifestation of our dreams and hopes so it would only be fitting that we try to impose those hopes and dreams in the name that we choose for them.

I definitely think names are "brands" or "labels." To me, all names have an image to them. That's why sometimes names do not fit the person, and I'll use my name as an example. My name is Blaire (named after my grandmother's maiden name, Blair.) I come from a very poor, working class family and grew up in a rural area in the South. I get comments all the time when I tell people my name... "Ooh, la-di-da!" or "Blaire? How aristocratic." So, I think my name has the image of rich, snobby, country club type people. And with namesakes like Tony Blair and Blair from The Facts of Life, I completely understand. It just simply does not fit me, at all.

I think naming a baby is every bit as much of a branding decision as naming a store or magazine. If you think about it, choosing a baby's name is one of the only opportunities for people to assert their style, regardless of their income. So yeah, the people down the street might have an interior designer and a Mercedes, but their kid is named McKynzie. I may be stuck with IKEA and a minivan, but when I name my child, my brand will be way more stylish and "expensive." This example may not exactly answer your question, but it points to the fact that I believe that we are very aware of the perception and image of the names we choose for our children, every bit as much as we would be for an advertising campaign.

I'd like to see how my child's life pans out after this discussion. She's Arabella. However, its a little too early to tell quite what her personality will be like when she gets into school, then her teen years. I knew when I picked Arabella I was picking a big time princess name. I love it! If I only have one girl, I'm likely to have my sweet little princess. However, I figured no matter what I call her, she has a lot of nickname opportunities if she chooses to go by something other than Bella. So I wonder if nicknames have an effect on your branding. If you don't introduce yourself by your full first name, does that make a difference?
    Current loves: Theodore & Rosalind

Mommy to Arabella and Jude