Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My favorites

My favorites

I'm not expecting anytime soon, but since I'm a frequent poster on these boards I thought that I'd share my favorite names.

Names marked with a * are my top favorites, and those marked with + are ones that if I were to use it would more likely than not be as a middle name.

Boys:
    Adrian*
    Casey
    Charles+
    Claude+
    Emmanuel
    Francis+
    Gabriel*
    Julian
    Lucian/Lucien*
    Rory
    Rowan*
    Sebastian
    Simon
    Sullivan*

Girls:
    Amelia
    Amy
    Camille
    Catherine
    Claire+
    Daphne
    Elizabeth*
    Fiona
    Isabella
    Lara
    Mabel
    Nancy* (I know that it's dated to some, but for some reason I like it)
    Rachel*
    Rebecca
    Rose+ (I know that this is one of those ubiquitous middle names, but it's a family name for me)
    Samantha
    Veronica*

Both genders:
    Devon
    Lee+ (ditto what I said about Rose)

Some of my inspirations from the "Cool International Names" lists, but with some of them I'm not sure if they'd work on someone of my ethnic background or not:

Boys:
    Etienne (I couldn't get the accent in)
    Lars
    Lucien (also mentioned in the main list above along with Lucian)
    Soren

Girls:
    Inez
    Ingrid
    Larisa
    Raquel

Of the "foreign names" the French and Irish ones would probably be more usable for me, since I do have some (albeit distant) roots to those ethnicities.

Feel free to comment on the names. If you have any combo ideas using two of these names or one of them along with another name that you think that I might like, they're also welcome.

bostonian girl Guest

Re: My favorites

This is a very interesting topic idea, I wonder why no one else has replied to it!

Of the choices you listed, I like these...

Quote Originally Posted by namefan
    I don't have quite so many favorites, but I love to play with names. I keep name books at hand because I'm an amateur writer and always need names for new characters, but names in and of themselves fascinate me. So here are the ones I can come up with off the top of my head, with the starred ones (*) my absolute favorites and the ones I would give to my own kids, if I'm lucky enough to have any.

Boys:
    Adam
    Christian*
    Scott
    Peter
    Nicholas
    Jonathan

Girls:
    Susina*
    Skye
    Susan
    Cindy
    Jenny
    Julie
    Christina
    Agnetha
    Toni

There are more, but those are the ones that hit me without checking a book and taking all night to post this. I could post about names I simply loathe, but that's for another time. :)

Namefan, I also like:
    Charles
    Rowan
    Simon
    Soren
    Sullivan
    Amelia
    Claire
    Inez
    Ingrid
    Fiona
    Nancy (I have a pretty hip 14yo cousin named Nancy)
    Rachel
    Rose

Bostonian, I like:
    Adam
    Peter
    Nicholas
    Skye
    Christina
    Agnetha

Here are my own favorites:
    Boys:
    Alaric
    Elias
    Ivan
    Oscar
    Sinclair (not usually my style, but it would honor a Clarence)
    Theodore

Girls:
    Anika
    Clara
    Cosima
    Isadora
    Nadia
    Odessa
    Ophelia
    Petra
    Saga

Isadora is far and away my favorite for girls, and Ophelia would be my second choice. The boys move around on that list, each of them having occupied top slot at some
    point.

lola Guest

namefan: I like
    Adrian
    Charles+
    Claude
    Francis+
    Gabriel*
    Julian
    Lucian/Lucien*
    Rowan*
    Sebastian
    Simon
    Sullivan*
    and randomly think Lucian Charles Lee might float your boat. (I would alter it to Leigh for a girl, Lee is awful on a girl!)

Girls:
    Camille
    Catherine
    Claire+
    Daphne
    Elizabeth*
    Fiona
    Mabel
    Nancy* (I know that it's dated to some, but for some reason I like it)
    Rachel*
    Rose+ (I know that this is one of those ubiquitous middle names, but it's a family name for me)
    Veronica*
    But have no ideas for girls from your list, I adore Elizabeth but want to say Elizabeth Camilla Rose, as Elizabeth Camille Rose doesn't flow well.
    I would definitely not use Devon or Lee on on anything but a boy, Devon's masculine feeling and these days will feel more dated on a girl, I feel.

from your international list, I really dig Soren & Etienne (no accent needed for me to get it) but Lars to me feels lard like (but maybe I just bake too much!) and I prefer Lucian to Lucien (and would unless I lived where they spoke French.
    Raquel is the only one on your girls list I dislike. She's hard edged to me and I don't find her pretty.

Bostonian girl (Hi from a fellow MA'er!, not Boston, though)
    I like:
    Adam
    Peter
    Nicholas
    Jonathan

Girls:
    Susina* - this beats plain Susan, even in my book. Even if it does sound a bit nicknamey.
    Susan - I know so many my age (41) I'd rather update her a little bit, Susanna, or Susanne)
    Cindy (but prefer Cynthia in full)
    Julie
    Agnetha

and I find Christian a bit silly. I always think to myself "What're they going to name his brother? Buddhist?" when I see it. and think How ridiculous would a Jewish Christian be? (what if he grows up and converts, as I did, as a lot of my friends did?) OLf course, this is just me thinking, so feel free to ignore me here!

memomo, I like:

Boys:
    Alaric
    Elias
    Ivan (but only in Russian: EE-van. eye-Van sounds a bit clunky to my ears ) [I grew up in a Polish/Russian family, might be why]
    Oscar
    Sinclair (not usually my style, but it would honor a Clarence) [Funny, look at my list below!]
    Theodore

Girls:
    Anika
    Clara
    Cosima- I adore Cosima, she's gorgeous!
    Isadora
    Nadia
    Ophelia
    Petra

Mine (simplified for consumption):

Boys:
    Cassius
    Clarence
    Cosmo
    Remus (yes, really)
    August
    Lucius

Girls:
    Cecily
    Ottoline
    Eulalie [you-LAL-ee]
    Beatrix
    Pomeline
    Lucretia

Yes, this is our simplified top 12 as of right now. Didn't bother with combos any.

Great lists! You guys have some fascinating favorite names.

My own favorties (I'm a tradionalist for the most part):

Boys:
    Henry
    Simon
    Colin
    Jude
    Stuart
    Matthew
    Sullivan
    William
    Finn
    Oliver

Girls:
    Elizabeth
    Eloise
    Eleanor
    Bridget
    Julia
    Naomi
    Kate
    Sophia (too popular but gorgeous)
    Stella
    Frances
    Jane
    Grace
    Audrey
    Susannah

bostonian girl Guest

Lola...cool, another MA'er! :) I'm actually from suburban Boston/eastern MA, but nobody would recognize "Plainville Girl", hee hee.

Thought I would comment on the following:

I find Christian a bit silly. I always think to myself "What're they going to name his brother? Buddhist?" when I see it. and think How ridiculous would a Jewish Christian be? (what if he grows up and converts, as I did, as a lot of my friends did?) Of course, this is just me thinking, so feel free to ignore me here!

I can understand that, and I sympathize with it, actually. But for me, Christian the name and Christian the concept are two wholly different things. I'm actually not even religious at all (my mother has been trying to convert me, but I digress). I just love the sound of the name, and it has a purely secular appeal to me (just as Pam and Linda noted under their entry for Christian in "The Baby Name Bible"). There's no religious connection for me at all. Should I ever have a boy, it would make a pretty decent trio with his half-brother and "half-brother once removed", Griffin and Logan. It would be highly ironic where my mother is concerned, but I'll deal with that if it ever happens. :)

I am going to make a fantasy list of my favorite names just for fun. These are names that I would choose: 1. if I were young enough to have a baby, 2. if my husband weren't so conservative in his name taste or if I didn't care what he thought about names, 3. if our last name weren't so difficult to match with a lot of names, and 4. if we couldn't continue to live in our tiny, charming suburb with an excellent school district. If you live in our general area, and you're not in a great school district, then you have to name your baby a severely classic name like William or Anna or you have to name him/her a vintage name that sounds intelligent and not too popular. I can't really put my finger on it, but it has to have a certain kind of snobbiness. That way kids fit into the private school social climate better. We live in L.A. where most people name their kids very trendy names. Yet in our area parents avoid trendy names for the most part. Personally I think it is trendy enough to be from SoCal without having a trendy name with a short shelf life. If you want to know the problem with each name I have listed below, I am putting the corresponding number of each problem listed above next to the names. Of course every name has problem #1-that I am too old now to have another baby unless I adopt one.
    Fantasy baby name list:
    girls
    Alice-2 (but if my husband didn't start liking it, I would tickle him until he liked it.)
    Lucy-3 (but Lucille works better. Of course my husband would probably hate Lucille.)
    Beatrix-2,3
    Cecily-3 (I could use Cecilia-my husband likes it because it was his grandmother's name)
    Daphne-2,3
    Frances-2
    Genevieve-2
    Georgia-2 (I could probably talk my husband into this name except he hates his boss whose name is George)
    Josephine-2
    Phoebe-3
    Sylvia-2 (maybe I could talk him into it)
    Valentina-2,
    Veronica
    Vivian
    Mavis (my husband particularly hates this name and he despises Maeve)-2
    Annika (my husband would go for this name if we called her Anna for short and then gradually maybe it would turn into Annika!)-
    Apparently I've adjusted to the private school problem for girls, because all of the above names would work for our local pseudo upper crusty climate.
    boys
    Adrian-2,4
    Bernard-2,4
    Felix-2,3,4
    Oliver-2
    Miles-2
    Rowan-2,4
    Vincent-4
    Xavier-2
    Magnus-2
    Luke-2
    Anders-2

Now you know why I like the name William so much. It works with all the name problems we have. Girls' names seem to be more flexible, but then they often don't work with our last name.
    In case you want to know the names my husband likes:
    boys
    Stephen
    Michael
    Alexander
    Matthew
    Philip
    Peter
    Thomas
    Patrick
    Daniel
    Andrew
    he actually likes Vincent!
    James

girls
    Anna
    Laura
    Rachel
    Susan
    Elizabeth (Lizzy)
    Veronica
    Rebecca
    Naomi
    Linda

This is definitely one of my favorite things to discuss, and you guys have so many good names! Even though I'm not expecting any time soon, I of course have made up a little list of favorites, which might seem a little incoherent because of the very eclectic mix of traditional and nontraditional/made-up names... But that's how I like it! :D

(using the same rating-something system as you all have, with preferences of middle names, top favorites etc)

Girls:
    Lily*
    Avalon*(+)
    Ellen
    Isolde+
    Henna*
    Ariel*
    Luna* (the most beautiful name in the world... to me at least)
    Isabella*(+)
    Tess*
    Adeline+
    Kebi (maybe a bit odd, but I think it's so sweet!)
    Muse+
    Mira
    Idun (i'm a sucker for Norse mythology :P)

Boys:
    Noah*
    Viggo*
    Sam
    Theo
    Leo
    Rufus*
    Henry+
    Johnny* (I think it's such a hip name, I do love it!)
    Ace*
    Van*
    Beck*
    Keane (I have a thing for boy-names staring with a K-sound... look down...)
    Colt
    Kane

Every one has such wonderful names!!
    Here are some of my favorites

Girls:
    Adelaide ( love the nn Addie)
    Charlotte
    Elise
    Emmeline
    Josephine
    Gemma
    Genevieve
    Imogen
    Leila
    Malia
    Mirabel (I would shorten it to Mira)
    Nadia
    Naomi

I think my boys list is a little more out there and I'm not sure I would actually name a child some of them but I still like them!
    Boys:
    Caleb
    Elias
    Owen
    Ezekiel
    Xavier
    Jonah
    Leo
    Otto
    Ziv
    Wyatt
    Kai

I love this topic. I was thinking about writing a blog post on what makes a favorite a favorite -- anyone have any theories???
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry