Menu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Month names??

Month names??

What do you think about the name October for a girl? (Tobe for short)... I personally love it, I think its cool and unique. I also love the name January however Jan is an awful nickname. Tuesday is awesome too (like Tuesday Weld), but with Nicole Kidman's Sunday people might just think your following the trend.

lola Guest

Re: Month names??

I'd rather October on a boy, myself. I dislike Toby/Tobe on a girl. But then, I'm a traditionalist like that. I'd name a girl May or June happily (April's never been my cup of tea) And August is strictly male in my head (Caesar Augustus and all that). The only non-traditional month name I could use on a girl without blanching is July. I'd call her Julie. :D

I love month/day names for girls, October never would have occurred to me, but I like it! I'm not sure about the nickname Tobe, though. And Tuesday is great! Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday were my favorite names in junior high. And I'm pretty sure if you named your kid Tuesday, no one would accuse you of following a trend.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Okay...I would never use a month or week name myself for two reasons...

1.Anything other than April, May, June (May and June are way too outdated to me) or August sound too weird for me...but thats me. August is a nice boys name gaining some popularity.
    2.Week names remind me instantly of the Adams Family.

However I do like the common season names:

Sommer, Autumm. Wynter (only spelled like that)

How about holiday names like Christmas or Easter? Names like Afternoon or Morning?
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry

I like August best out of all the month names for a girl. Although, I am sure that I personally would never use any of them. October seems a bit out there to me but if you really love it then use it. Just keep in mind that your daughter may not love it and if you can live with that then go for it!

How about holiday names like Christmas or Easter? Names like Afternoon or Morning?

In answer to the above question..."afternoon" and "morning" are just too common for me. People use them ALL the time in daily conversation, so that nixes them for me.

Because of my (lack of) religious beliefs, I couldn't go the Christmas or Easter route, either, but Solstice? Yeah, maybe.
    -e

I love the name Autumn! I'm sure that would be our daughter's name, if we didn't already know and Autumn.

I know a family with seven kids: Sunday (girl whom they call Sunny), Monday (girl whom they call Day-Day), Tuesday (boy whom they call CC, because of the s sound), Wednesday (girl, Ness), Thursday (boy whom they call Thursy), Friday (boy, no nickname needed!), and Saturday (girl, Attie). Nicknames took some time to figure out, and each child was born on that day of the week. Not in succession, though. And now Sunday is married and has an Evening (girl, Evie), January (girl, Ry-Ry), and a boy named August. Tuesday has a daughter named December, and she's called Simmy by Dad and Berry by Mom, and Dessy by her friends. Thursday's wife is pregnant with Afternoon (girl who they'll call Affy, Ferry, or Terry) or Morning (boy who'll be called Morey). I love calendar names. And obviously, so do my friends.

Is this really true? Sounds like an urban legend! I want to interview these people.....
    Pam Redmond
    Nameberry