Menu

Thread: Isaiah

Isaiah

I love the name Isaiah (although not expecting any time soon) but I've always pronounced it phonetically, i.e. ih-say-ah. Turns out, most people pronounce it as eye-zye-ah. I don't like the "correct" pronunciation at all. It's definitely not a popular name where I'm from, and most people aren't religious, so I doubt it'd be a name people know a lot about. Do you think it'd still be ok to use Isaiah pronounced my way or would he spend his whole life correcting people?
    Kennedy Lucy Myfanwy <3 Elijah Maxwell Carrow

Skyla | Veronica | Ayla | Sienna | Aria
    Harper | Addiena | Lila | Haven | Nevaeh
    Rosalie | Macy | Jasmine | Willow | Adelaide

Hunter | Grayson | Sawyer | Jensen | Max
    Tanner | Atlas | Isaac | Landon | Zachary
    Ezra | Ryder | Kingston | Holden | Wilder

Isaiah is pronounced eye-ZAY-ah in my experience (and I come from a religious town), not eye-zye-ah.
    It will definitely be pronounced eye-ZAY-ah for most, if not all, of his life

I have never heard it pronounced eye-zeye-a. Where did you hear that?

Little Laddies
    Asa Peregrine Jude
    Jasper Leo Augustin
    Bruno Sebastian Wilde
    Arthur Jules Hawthorn

Little Lassies
    Sylvie Ada Juniper
    Thea Marigold Noor
    June Eliza Primrose
    Etta Wildflower Jane

I believed it was iz-EYE-uh.

I probably wouldn't recommend using a different pronunciation to whats 'correct' but I don't think it would be the biggest issue in the world, as once people know him they would thereon say his name correctly. If it was a really obviously pronounced name it might be different, but since everyone here seems to have different ideas on how it's meant to be said, it would probably be okay.
    Sienna Elsie|Eden Olivia|Lyra Isabella|Cora Eloise|Thea Ivy|Lila Iris| Ivy Winter|Lydia Kate

Ramsey Flynn|Finnegan Reid|Wilder Elliott|Reid Valentine|Flynn Shepherd|Atlas James|Nolan Alexander|Greyson Wilder|Edmund Fox|August Wolf|Sullivan Wyatt

I assumed Isaiah was pronounced Ih-zye-uh but since then, I've heard it pronounced Eye-zay-uh and ih-zay-uh, so tbh, I'm not sure which one's right and I think he would spend a lot of time correcting people
    🌈Grace🌈
    Sarai Matilda|Mabli Charlotte|Una Adele|Cherith Eliza
    Sloane Felicity|Flora Penelope|Juno Delilah|Lois Aurelia
    Sholto Felix|Tristan Rafferty|Percy Evander|Bram Atticus
    Otto Elias|Linus Theodore|Jude Amadeus|Jesse Peregrine

I went to high school with at least three, they all pronounced it eye-ZAY-uh, none of them are from a religious background. I live in the PNW, if you wanted to use it I'd ask people from the same area as you how they think it's pronounced because it's probably a little different in different areas.
    rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
    Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

I've always heard it pronounced eye-zay-uh and I come from a religious school with multiple Isaiahs. I think most people pronounce it that way because I've even heard people from across the country pronounce it the same way.
    I think if you wanted it pronounced another way, you're going to be correcting people a lot.
    Emma Louise - future zookeeper, current namenerd

Cassius Mercury "Cash" . Ianthe Venus "Thea" . Augustine Earth "Gus" . Caspian Mars "Cap" . Elias Jupiter "Jem" . Alexandria Saturn "Alex" . Ezekiel Uranus "Zeke" . Koa Neptune "Kip"

Human to dogs Carmel, Rainier Paxton, Ryder James, and Jay Gatsby "Gatz", and kitten Phinneas McDougal

Eye-zay-uh or Eyes-ay-uh maybe
    I have heard it this way everywhere I've been
    But I don't think you could expect people to know otherwise without being told.
    Psalm 127:3-5

In the UK Isaiah is usually pronounced eye-ZYE-uh, to my knowledge. That is how I heard it pronounced in church when I was growing up and it's how I would automatically pronounce it. I believe eye-ZAY-uh is the American pronunciation.

I think you could still use eye-ZAY-uh if you wanted to, but be prepared to have to correct people.