Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Typical American names

What names do you consider to be 'typical' American names? Names that have only ever really hit it off in America and are perhaps trendy American names, like my short list below. Maybe state names, or city names, or names after famous Americans past or present.

For me, it's names like Mackenzie, Cassidy, Destiny and Kennedy for girls, and Dustin, Brody, Colton and Austin for boys.

I served a lady at work last week who had a daughter called Kennedy and it was so bizarre because I'm a Brit and that name is something I've only ever come across on here and *ahem* Toddlers and Tiaras. It strikes me as really American but it was cool to see it actually in use this side of the pond.

eryn ∙ twenty-two ∙ united kingdom

❄ ❆ ❄ ❆ ❄
    sleigh bells ring, are you listening?
    stella joy ∙ emmanuelle snow ∙ cerys belle ∙ ivy noelle ∙ winter eve
    lux gabrielle ∙ seren mary ∙ holly faith ∙ lumi serafina ∙ angel clara

Yours are good examples. I'd also say Cody, Kristen, and Reagan.

Misspelled names
    Masculine names on girls
    Common names misspelled to make them "unique"
    Adding or changing name endings to -lynn or -leigh
    Aubrey|Finley|Theo|Leonidas|Owen|Nolan|Nicolai|Koa |Rory|Lincoln|James|Constantine|Brennan|Zane|Rowan | Sawyer|Boston|Lucien|Aurelius|Tennessee|Aurelien|R hys|Emrys|Soren|Osiris|Briar|Carsten|Cairo

Alara ~ Cecily ~ Coralie ~ Evadne ~ Adelie ~ Autumn ~ Liv ~ Caia ~ Eirian ~ Calista ~ Corinna ~ Reverie ~ Aura ~ Ember ~ Ayelet ~ Atarah ~ Lilavati ~ Ilaria ~ Naiara ~ Nova ~ Oriana ~ Arrow ~ Annora

Full List

Things that sound like they fit on country singers (i.e. Brantley and Hunter).
    Maybe Brooklyn and Savannah?
    Liberty, I'd wager.

I'm not sure, really. Although I do have to add, I have had a baby name book for many years, and it lists the origin of the name next to the name itself. It lists names like Kitty and Muffin as "American names", as if all of us just are crappy namers. Lol. (related- I thought that nickname names were more popular over there, not here?)
    Alyssa

I am 1 in 8. TTC #1 for 2 years, 10 months and counting...

After 5 years, we finally have settled on: Isla Felicity Dove and Judah Ebenezer!

Ada Rosemary and Bennett Dale still on reserve

I don't know why; but I've always considered Margo to have more American usage than any other (whereas Margot is fairly international to me).

But other names that I'd view as typically American are Avery (for girls), Alannah and variations, Meghan, Nevaeh, Kristen, Stephanie, Brianna, Addison, Kyra and Marilyn for girls.

For boys most surnames as first names seem very American to me, since they haven't taken off as much here in England (particularly Clayton, Carter, Bennett). Other names like Dashiell, Hank, Chuck, Grayson and Logan are also quite American in feel to me.
    Teenberry | Amateur Photographer and editor | Human to cats Toffee & Fudge

Adelina Joy ♡ Magdalena Ruby ♡ Edith Matilda ♡ Helena Margot ♡ Ophelia Maeve ♡ Anneliese Charlotte ♡ Sienna Giselle
    Leo Xavier ☆ Alexander George ☆ Isaac Peregrine ☆ Harry Lysander ☆ Arthur James ☆ Arlo Sebastian ☆ Viggo Florian ☆ Nicholas Ivor

Crushes: Etta + Kate + Regina + Eben + Ambrose
    GP Crushes: Amoret + Rosine + Lavendar + Xanthus