Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Name Johnny

I think Johnny is fine as a given name, but John nn Johnny is a good alternative if you have concerns. And Jack could also be used as a nickname for John.
    Gideon ~ Ezekiel ~ Abel ~ Emmett ~ Declan ~ Silas ~ Ezra ~ Flynn ~ Jasper ~ Elliot
    Maisie ~ Willa ~ Naomi ~ Vivienne ~ Evangeline ~ Gemma ~ Amaryllis ~ Lux ~ Remi ~ Sophie
    Shiloh ~ River ~ Sage ~ Rowan

Name Crush of the Moment: Oona

Meh. I wish I could like it, because it seems like you all do quite a bit and it'd be cute to say Sophie named her little brother. But Johnny is my brother's name, and I quite honestly can barely stand it. I really only call him Johnny when talking about him to anyone outside of my family--I call him Buddy 90% of the time (not because I couldn't bear to call him by his real name, which is ridiculous. It's his name, he seems to like it, I have no problem with that. But he's my little (okay, kind of big, haha) buddy! I can't imagine not calling him Buddy, haha.) That being said, my brother comes from a long line of Johns nn Johnny. It's so terribly overdone in my family, and I've always preferred Jack. I do think John is a great idea, though--you could use both Jack and Johnny if you liked.

ETA: I definitely wouldn't use just Johnny, though--my brother is pretty consistently known as Johnny by just about everyone, and he's 23 and in the Air Force. But I think he still likes having the more formal John to fall back on--he's always been referred to as John by most of his teachers, and employers (although he only gets our surname in the military now).
    Ashley | namenerd | Christian | storyteller

List under major construction. Thinking about today:

Isabelle Aurora GraceZane Alexander CaspianGenevieve Sofia EsmeEverett Joshua Charles
    Casper Nathaniel EdenEleanor Pasqualina Mary "Lena"Samson Adler JackPoppy Éliane Clementina
    Thomas BenjaminAlice ClementineIan MarinerAmelia Winter
    Claire JuniperDesmond JoshuaHazel IsabellaEzra Borealis

I'm writing a story--join me! here

I love John or Jonathan nn Johnny. The fact that John could also be Jack seems to make it a really good choice for you guys, and it straightforward fn like that will be an excellent foil for an interesting nature-y mn.

I like August on your list, but not with a nature mn. John or Jonathan great, especially to pair with a really unique mn. I'm not a fan of just Johnny... but I don't like nn as formal names. Everyone will assume his name is John (or Jonathan), and I'd find Johnny a bit too informal for resumes and such... just me. Assuming your surname neither begins or ends with an N, I really like John or Jonathan.
    Currently exiled from the US

Emiliana Pari 郑煜曈 '14

EDD: Oct '17
    XY: Edmund Kaveh
    XX: Solenne Mitra, Honora Katayoun

I like Johnny, it feels like one of those nn's that was so overused at one point in time everyone's stopped using them and it's become new and fresh again. Though I would but John/Jonathan/Johannes/Johan something like that on the birth certificate
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot