Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquila

Aquila

This is my newest name epiphany. I've seen it before but you know that feeling when you see a name and it's like you've never seen it before? Yeah, that.

I tend to like -illa names. And names beginning with vowels. But this one stands out to me. Maybe it's the "kw" sound in there. I like the Biblical connection, and don't mind that the person referred to in the New Testament was a man.

I also think the nn Quil is very sweet, especially for the daughter of two writers.

What do you think of Aquila? Is it appealing? Off-putting? Is pronunciation intuitive for you? (I would say uh-KWILL-uh). Do you like Aquila Emerald?

I'm getting that same "aha!" feeling I had with Beatrice, except maybe my husband will like this one. :-/

Thanks, all!
    Mrs. H.
    Trying for our first.
    Gabriel . David. Walker. James . Michael
    Clementine . Ophelia . Emerald . Marie . Margot

I love Aquila, it was on my list for a long time. I didn't know about the Biblical connection (which was part of what put me off the name) but it's also a constellation and a name that was used a lot in Roman times. It's very beautiful.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

I like Aquila, but for a boy, not a girl. Since the Aquila in the New Testament was a man, that's the association I have, and I'd be sad to see it on a girl, sorry. I think it's more noble-sounding (particularly as it means "eagle") than beautiful. I also believe it's pronounced A-kwill-uh (short A, as in apple, or perhaps more correctly, A as in father), accent on the first syllable.
    A couple years ago I met a little boy named James Aquila, nicknamed Quil, which I thought was cute.
    Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I actually really dislike Aquila. Maybe it's the kwil sound. It reminds me of a porcupine lol. It's ok in theory, but if I met a little girl named that, I'd probably feel bad for the child. Sorry :/
    Ailbhe LavenderBoudica IvyCordelia Winter
    Dáire Lilac Daphne Elizabeth Edith November
    Elowen VerityGeorgiana BloomHelena Maude
    Marigold AdaOnóra True Rosalind Kathleen

Algernon William Anson BenjaminCaspian Grey
    Cináed AngusCoinneach Séan Drago Éibhear
    Edmund KennethMontague SéanOswald William
    Rockwell AlistairRuarc AlbanUlric Nash

I think that I don't like the name because I speak Spanish and it reminds me of the verb "to rent" which is "alquilar". People often say "alquila" meaning "for rent" just FYI.