Creative Baby Names: Original but not outre

comments

23 Responses to “Creative Baby Names: Original but not outre”

littlebrownpony Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 10:07 am

Meridian! Yes! I used to teach a little Meridien (same pronunciation.) It works very well as a name, I think.

Flick Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 11:02 am

The only ones I care for are Grover and Isabetta. Keeva isn’t bad, I suppose, I prefer the traditional spelling, though.

I’m sad to see Penelope skyrocketing, but on the other hand I would rather see something like Penelope skyrocket than some of the other, less desirable, names that I have seen the past few years.

I find Halston interesting, I REALLY do not like it for a girl, though – -ston sounds so masculine.

Whirligig Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 11:22 am

Not really keen on any of these

agirlinred Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 11:40 am

I LOVE Grover, but used it for my dog… Dodge is cool too, but the others aren’t for me.

JShores Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 11:55 am

I agree with Flick. I thought Halston would be a boy’s name. And I kind of like it for a boy. Doesn’t sound feminine at all to me though. I like Poet a lot. I find myself really loving the sister sibset of Penn Lily, Pilot Maile, and Poet Olli. Super cute!

miloowen Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 11:55 am

Perhaps Grover has more to do with a lovable satyr in the Riordan books?

Isabetta, like Isabeau, is a medieval Italian variation of Elisabetta. Not used too often anymore, but certainly a choice just as interesting as Tamasin, Isabeau, and Yseult, other medieval appellations.

The newest baby from my students is La’Merria Ann-Marie, an interesting smoosh of African American unique and old-fashioned Catholic. Do not yet know what her mama — whose name is Nasticia, pronounced Nastasha — is calling her….

auroradawn Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I know of a little boy in a nearby community named Grover. If people can get past the Muppet, I think it’s a nice choice. I’ve heard my teenage brother talking about Grover from the Riordan books, too.

Django is pretty cool (though a little too “jazzy” for my taste), but it makes me think of Jango Fett, a bounty hunter from the Star Wars movies. I don’t know, maybe a boy named Django would just think the connection was cool!

Greyer Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I REALLY hope Dodge becomes usable! It is a family surname that’s been used as a second middle for boys in my family for three generations, and I’d love to rock the boat a little bit and put it up front. I think it totally fits with other actiony word names like Chase and Dash.

Also, really loving Isabetta, which surprises me. I love the nickname Etta, Betty, or Betsy, and this seems like a fresh, fun way to get there. Django I like too, but it’s a little too hipster for me.

ksheja Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

The only one I like is Keeva (but I like the Caoimhe spelling better). Isabetta’s not so bad. I too thought boy when I saw Halston. Poet, Penn and Pilot? Not my style I guess. I like some names that are unusual and even obscure, but I like them to have a substantial history of use as given names.

fieldspring Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I like the name Grove. Also, about a decade ago, I knew a teenaged girl named Halston (from a family of 5 with only H or C names).

auroradawn Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

To prevent ambiguity in my earlier post, it should read, “I know a little boy named Grover in a nearby community”!

fieldspring Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 4:09 pm

And I did mean Grove…without the ending “r.”

shinysarah11 Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love Meridian and Isabetta. Familiar but different! Lovely!

Scrambledmegs Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Grover rose on our list as soon as Oscar started to become usable again. And I will admit it’s because he’s my favorite Jim Henson monster muppet. I think with the nature-like Grove and popular -er ending, it has so much potential. I’m not too worried about it becoming to popular, because I feel a lot of people have be adverse to it for so long. But who knows, I would’ve said the same thing about Adelaide until fairly recently.

Scrambledmegs Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I should know better than to comment when tired. Sorry for the spelling/grammar errors!

WaltzingMoreThanMatilda Says:

June 18th, 2012 at 11:55 pm

That was an interesting story from the “Toronto Star” about Jalé.

The people in the story said they saw the name without the accent in Australia, so it must be said like the word “jail” (or gaol).

Not all states of Australia will accept a birth registration which has diacritical marks in it, so just because someone’s name is Jale, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is pronounced JAYL and not juh-LAY (or something similar). Although I think it might be said JHAHL.

lealou Says:

June 20th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Dodge is my maiden name and thought it would be cool for a first name but it doesn’t fit right with my married last name :).

neuilly Says:

July 1st, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Actually my SO has always loved Django (for the musician). He would love it as a first name…I said I might consider it as a middle name. The movie though would deter me because I worry that people would think of it first instead of the beautiful music that we’re inspired by.

Stephie656 Says:

July 21st, 2012 at 5:49 am

Grover is on Sesame St not The Muppets.

tfzolghadr Says:

July 7th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Halston is so horrible for a girl… it sounds similar to Hollister. Poet is a bit bizarre… and Dodge is not only a car, but also “get out of Dodge” and the verb ‘to dodge’. I can’t really see the appeal of verbs or cars as names…

BabyNameCrazy95 Says:

July 7th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Blue Ivy sounds like some kind of STI what person would do that to there kid x

BabyNameCrazy95 Says:

July 7th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Blue Ivy sounds like some kind of STI what person would do that to there kid x

iwillpraise Says:

July 8th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

@ Stephie656 – Sesame Street and Jim Henderson Muppets are one in the same and can be used interchangeably. If you watch til the end of either The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhatten, or The Muppet Christmas Carol you’ll see all of them under one roof. (P.S. It’s quite easy to Google or YouTube these movies)

Speaking of the name Grover, it reminds me of the birth announcement that stole my heart a while ago for little Benton Grover. <3 Sigh. I'm still in love! I also like Meridian.