A mythological, biblical, Shakepearean, and Salinger name, the warm and captivating Phoebe was given a boost in popularity by one of the Friends.
In classical mythology, Phoebe is the by-name of Artemis, goddess of the moon and of hunting. In the New Testament, she is a church deaconess. Shakespeare used the name (spelled Phebe) for a rustic denizen of the forest in As You Like It, Phoebe Pynchon was a cheerful young girl in Hawthorne's The House of Seven Gables, while Phoebe is Holden Caulfield's sympathetic, precocious ten-year-old sister in Catcher in the Rye.
Bill and Melinda Gates used Phoebe for their daughter.
Lists containing Phoebe:
- Clunky but Cool Names for Girls
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Girl Names Moving Up Fast
- Saints' Names
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Mythological Baby Names for Girls
- Offbeat Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Early African-American Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With P
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Goddess Baby Names
- Saints' Names for Girls