Julia Roberts drew the biblical Phineas into the limelight when she chose it, with the even-more-antique spelling Phinnaeus, for her twin son, now called Finn. Phineas had last been heard from via circus impresario Phineas T. Barnum, until it was brought somewhat up to date via the Disney Channel animated show Phineas and Ferb.
Anthony Trollope combined name and nickname for the young, handsome and charming Irish lawyer hero of his eponymous novel, Phineas Finn. Phineas is also the name of three biblical personages and was popular among the seventeenth century Puritans. Jazz pianist Phineas Newborn, Jr. is a contemporary namesake.
Trivia note: In early movies, characters named Phineas had nicknames like Prune, Whipsnake and Whoopee.
Bottom line: A quirky path to nickname Finn.
Lists containing Phineas:
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- If You Like Finn, You Might Love...
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Literary Names for Boys
- Colonial Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Offbeat Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Colonial Craftsmen Names
- Disney Channel Baby Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With P
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Unusual Biblical Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Boy Baby Names That End in S
- Harry Potter Names
- 100+ Classic Boys’ Names — below the Top 1000