Mae, a sweet and springlike old-fashioned name, hadn't been on the national charts in forty years, but finally made it back in 2010 -- and has since climbed quite a bit. Mae is one of the prettiest middle name options (Eric Clapton has an Ella Mae, Greg Kinnear an Audrey Mae, Ian Ziering a Penna Mae). The May spelling makes it more of a month name, while Mae makes it an antique nickname name. Both can stand on their own--as seen by Kathryn Hahn's choice of Mae as her daughter's first name.
Mae, a top 100 name through 1920, was big in early film history--there were leading actresses named Mae Clarke, Mae Marsh, Mae Busch and Mae Murray. Towering over them (figuratively) was Mae West, who changed the name from sweet to sexy. This image continued with Madonna's character in A League of Their Own, known as 'All the way Mae.'
Mae Jemisen was the first African-American woman to travel in space. Currently, Mae Whitman is a rising young actress seen on Parenthood and Arrested Development.
Lists containing Mae:
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- If You Like Josephine, You Might Love...
- Vintage Nicknames for Girls
- Supermodel Baby Names
- If You Like Alice, You Might Love...
- If You Like Lucy, You Might Love...
- Hollywood Glamour Girl Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- One-Syllable Middle Names for Girls
- Short Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names