Josiah -- a biblical name with lots of quaint, old-fashioned charm -- makes a much fresher sounding alternative to either Joseph or Joshua, combining the best of both. Josiah is now at Number 64, having moved up 79 places in a decade.
In the Old Testament, Josiah was an upright king of Judah; two Josiahs, Wedgwood and Spode, founded the fine English potteries that bear their names. Josiah Bartlett was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and the President on The West Wing shared his name, being a fictional descendant.
Charles Dickens used the name for a character in his novel Hard Times and Josiah Borden is a character in Eugene O'Neill's tragedy Mourning Becomes Electra.
Lists containing Josiah:
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Three-Syllable Baby Names
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Colonial Names for Boys
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Classic Baby Names with a Twist
- Southern Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names