Josiah -- a biblical name with lots of quaint, old-fashioned charm -- makes a much fresher sounding alternative to either Joseph or Joshua, combining the best of both. Josiah is now at Number 64, having moved up 79 places in a decade.
In the Old Testament, Josiah was an upright king of Judah from the age of eight, after his father Amon was murdered. Two Josiahs, Wedgwood and Spode, founded the fine English potteries that bear their names. Josiah Bartlett was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and the President on The West Wing shared his name, being a fictional descendant.
Charles Dickens used the name for a character in his novel Hard Times and Josiah Borden is a character in Eugene O'Neill's tragedy Mourning Becomes Electra.
Lists containing Josiah:
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Three-Syllable Baby Names
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Colonial Names for Boys
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Classic Baby Names with a Twist
- Southern Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names