No, we don't consider Jane too plain. In fact, for a venerable and short one-syllable name, we think it packs a surprising amount of punch, as compared to the related Jean and Joan.
A very old name, Jane has been around since Tudor times, in this country moving in and out of fashion, once so common that it became generic--as in Jane Doe and G.I. Jane, then spent a considerable time as the back end of such smooshes as Maryjane, Bettyjane and Sarajane.
In 1935, there were 8,900 baby Janes born in this country, whereas in 2012 there were just over 900.
We think it's time for a fresh look at Jane--and not just in middle place. Just think of all the awesome Janes of the past, both real and fictive--from Austen to Addams to Eyre to Fonda.
Lists containing Jane:
- If You Like Charlotte, You Might Love...
- Jane's International Variations
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- The Exoticizer
- Good Girls
- If You Like Alice, You Might Love...
- If You Like Caroline, You Might Love...
- Classic Baby Names for Girls
- Traditional Baby Names
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Baby Names from Books
- Classic Rock Baby Names
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Big Apple Baby Names
- Disney Baby Names
- Rock Star Baby Names
- Classic Baby Names
- Middle Names for Girls
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Literary Baby Names
- Cool Midcentury Baby Names