Gemma is a jewel of a name, an Italian classic that was very popular in 1980s England, but has only recently been started to be used here; it entered the list in 2008, and is already at 356.
Coming from a medieval Italian nickname for a precious gem, Gemma was the name of Dante's wife and was borne by a 19th century saint.
Lists containing Gemma:
- Italian Baby Names Beyond Rosa & Rosetta
- Nouveau Baby Names on the Rise
- Girls' Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Precious Baby Names
- Saints' Names
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- Cool Girls' Names From Around the World
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Supermodel Names
- Italian Word Names
- If You Like Emma, You Might Love...
- Jewel Baby Names