Gemma is a jewel of a name, an Italian classic that was very popular in 1980s England, but has only recently been started to be used here; it entered the list in 2008, and is already at 317.
Coming from a medieval Italian nickname for a precious gem, Gemma was the name of Dante's wife and was borne by a nineteenth century saint.
Gemma is the name of the character played by Katey Sagal on Sons of Anarchy, and actress Catherine Bell has a daughter called Gemma, as does Kristin Davis.
Bottom line: A stylish cousin of Emma and Jenna.
Lists containing Gemma:
- New Baby Names on the Rise
- Girl Names Moving Up Fast
- Precious Baby Names
- Saints' Names
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- Cool Girl Names From Around the World
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Supermodel Names
- Italian Word Names
- If You Like Emma, You Might Love...
- Jewel Baby Names
- Saints' Names for Girls