Evangeline is a romantic old name on the brink of a major comeback, thanks to its religious overtones, Eva's popularity, and the hot star of the TV megahit Lost, Evangeline Lilly. Evangelica and Evangelina -- two variants of Evangeline -- are sure to tag along for the ride. This year Evangeline rose 47 places.
Evangeline was introduced to the English-speaking world by Longfellow in his hugely popular eponymous narrative poem, and can also be found in Uncle Tom's Cabin (it was Little Eva's full name), as well as two novels by Evelyn Waugh. More recently, there were Evangelines in the films Nanny McPhee and DIsney's The Princess and the Frog.
Lists containing Evangeline:
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- Girly Girl Baby Names
- Girls' Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Vowel Baby Names for Girls
- Literary Names for Girls
- If You Like Amanda, You Might Love...
- If You Like Eva, You Might Love...
- Angel Names
- Celebrity-Inspired Baby Names
- Soap Opera Baby Names